Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Chez

Chinese geese?

Does anyone have any experience of Chinese geese? I impulse bought a pair yesterday. They seem very even tempered and he has already taken possession of the two muscovy ducks I have penned them with. I understand that muscovies are cross-fertile with both ducks and geese and I'm hoping to get some edible offspring.
mousjoos

Chinese geese are supposedly the most loyal

They can be very noisy...mine certainly are

They (mine) are not agressive even in the mating season & do like to boss the others about, even when technically not in charge

I like them, but they can be a bit ugly imho

Mine are good layers too
Hots

We inherited 6 of them from the in-laws when we moved here.
We re-homed 4 of them as the scenario of two bare-footed toddlers and all that goose poo was not attractive.
The 2 we kept were brothers and had the most delightful temperament of any goose we've ever had, (which is not saying much), they lived until well into their late twenties when one of them got so old and slow that a fox grabbed it and the other passed away with a broken heart a week later.
It literally put it's head down and gave up.

They were lovely creatures, very possessive of any ducklings and quite gentle.

Angels compared to the 2 farmyard buggers we've got now who like nothing better than to sneak up from behind and grab a beakful of thigh flesh and twist it viciously.
gythagirl

Quote:
I impulse bought a pair yesterday.

nobody else has commented on this..? Wink
sean

I've given up. Frankly I'm just relieved they're not ostriches or cassowaries.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

There are some rheas a few villages along...
sean

There's got to be a market for duck-billed platypus hatching eggs?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Think they'd share a house with muscovies?
Nick

Think they'd share a house with muscovies?

Yes. It would be Chez's house.
wellington womble

Don't they burrow? They won't need a house, you can keep them underneath something else.
Chez

Don't they burrow? They won't need a house, you can keep them underneath something else.

See, it's all about closing the permaculture loop Smile

They have decided they want to live with the khaki campbells. We are going along with it because it means we can see them out of the kitchen window. We've named them. Embarassed
Shan

Quote:
I impulse bought a pair yesterday.

nobody else has commented on this..? Wink

Par for the course with Chez...
Hots

See, it's all about closing the permaculture loop Smile

They have decided they want to live with the khaki campbells. We are going along with it because it means we can see them out of the kitchen window. We've named them. Embarassed

And the names are??

Ours were Geoff and Godfrey.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Darcy and Liz... Chez

Coz they're in love. It's epic.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home