Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
wellington womble

Chocolate chip cookie recipe wanted.

Jenna wants to make chocolate chip cookies. Can anyone recommend a recipe? I want proper biscuity, crummy cookies (like Boasters or similar) not squidgy, chewy ones.

She will only eat the mixture, and thus doesn’t much care what sort of cookies they are.
sgt.colon

Did you see the article about eating raw dough and e-coli? Apparently you're not supposed to do it as the flour could contain e-coli. The cookie dough you can buy to eat has already been treated so there is no risk of it.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Jam Lady

This is the recipe I use. Unfamiliar with Boasters so no idea how it compares.

Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 pound sweet butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars together.
Add eggs, one at a time.
Add vanilla.
Combine flour and baking soda. Add gradually to butter / sugar / egg.
Add chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonful on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 9 to 11 minutes in 375 degree Fahrenheit oven until lightly browned at edges.

Let cool for one minute, then move to wire rack to finish cooling.

Note: I portion these with a large-ish scoop, to make 18 cookies that bake for 15 minutes. Probably double that if portioning by spoonful.
pollyanna

The scare about not licking the bowl was in the US of A and only involved flour from one mill.
sgt.colon

Well here is the story if people would like to use it to help them make an informed decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42236702
Shan

Well, I must have a cast iron stomach and the constitution of a shark.... and I don't have 3 second rule about dropped food, it' closer to 30 seconds. Laughing
wellington womble

Did you see the article about eating raw dough and e-coli? Apparently you're not supposed to do it as the flour could contain e-coli. The cookie dough you can buy to eat has already been treated so there is no risk of it.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thank you, that’s very considerate. I think we are probably immune, given Jenna’s wish to eat all baking raw, and my, um, relaxed approach to housekeeping. I shall try jam lady’s recipe, and see how it goes.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home