Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
gythagirl

Chocolate Coconut Slice

As requested, from Rabbitstravaganza - note: does not contain rabbit...
Will type recipe as original then add some tweaks as I've done them. The recipe is from my first Panasonic combination oven cookbook - the current one is a pale imitation! (Combination power not required)

Chocolate Coconut Slice

Ingredients

275g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
450g gran sugar
200g dessicated coconut
4 Weetabix, crumbled
60g cocoa powder
175g sultanas/chopped walnuts, mixed

STEP 1 Mix all the above in a large bowl

275g butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla essence

STEP 2 Melt butter, add with eggs and essence to dry ingredients

THEN...

Mix well - it should be slightly crumbly. Press into a lined tin - I use a 12" x 12" roasting tin. Level and smooth the top.

Bake at 180C (160C fan) for 25-30 mins - it should still feel SOFT TO TOUCH but will firm on cooling.

Icing

200g dark chocolate, chopped
175g icing sugar
75g butter
60ml milk
coconut to sprinkle

Prepare icing by melting the chocolate and butter, add icing sugar and milk, beat until smooth and spread over cooled slice; sprinkle with coconut and leave to set.

Notes

I usually reduce the amount of coconut and add another Weetabix instead. At the Skillshare I used half the amount and added 2 more Weetabix. I've even made it without coconut when my dear husband grizzles (he doesn't like coconut!) or I discover I've run out, and I often vary the ratio of sultanas/nuts - it's a very forgiving recipe. The Skillshare version had chocolate glace icing on top which works very well esp when you have no dark chocolate (yes, it was one of those times, and not the first time...)

Finally, SOFT TO TOUCH means just that - it's easy to make but easy to overbake, when it becomes Chocolate Coconut Crunch Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home