Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
ralphman

chutney - how long will it keep now ?

i made some apple,onion & balsamic vinegar chutney today and have filled sterilised jars. once the lids were on (they have the safety button in the centre) i simmered them until the safety button retracted(cant pop it in and out) to how they are when you buy them from a shop.

my question is how long will they now keep for? i know normally things keep for 3/4 months but will they now keep alot longer by doing this

any help will be great Smile
gil

I've kept chutney for a couple of years (at least) and it has been fine.
The sugar and vinegar help preserve it, plus the heat and the airtight seal.
earthyvirgo

In this house, it'd last a few weeks Smile

But, like Gil, I've re-discovered 2 yr old chutney lurking at the back of a shelf and it's been fine.

EV
ralphman

ah thanks for that, do you normally do the jars as i have done or not bother with the simmering part ?

the 1st jar i put the hot chutney into the hot jar and it cracked...what did i do ?

the next three jars i cooled alittle and put a metal spoon in the jar while filling

any tips please
sam Smile
vegplot

Put the jars in a cold oven, bring up to sterilising heat (140C ?) leave for 10 mins and fill jars when both jars and chutney are hot.
ralphman

arh i consulted google and did jars at 180 so maybe they were too hot Shocked
Midland Spinner

I've never bothered with simmering the jars - I just sterilise them in the oven like Vp said, then pour the chutney in while it and the jars are still warm. I boil the lids in water for 10 mins and allow them to air dry. Then I lid the jars while still piping hot. Usually find that the buttons pop down from that. If not, I eat those jars first.

Chutney doesn't really mature for the first few months. Should keep for at least a year (probably more - vinegar is a good preservative). Some chutneys are pretty boring when first made, but come into their own after a year or two hidden at the back of the cupboard.
Nick

We're still lucky enough to be wading through FIL's bean chutney mountain that we inherited. He's been dead five years, or so. And he didn't make a batch the year he died.
ralphman

thanks for all that useful info, ive made pear,blackberry & elderberry jam before but it never lasts longer than a few months(getting eaten quickly i mean), so its handy to know tha chutney will last as only oh will be eating it Smile
btp

hi when making chutney purchase a vinegar that has an acidity above 5% your chutneys will keep for years providing you have used the right amount of sugar and vinegar
cheers btp
Mary-Jane

Same here.
oldish chris

Same here. I'm of the opinion that chutney needs to be kept for three months in order to taste at its best. oldish chris

the 1st jar i put the hot chutney into the hot jar and it cracked...what did i do ?
sam Smile actually, that surprises me, most modern glass jars can take that kind of shock. I've never had a problem filling ambient jars with almost boiling chutney or jam. Luath

Some of mine is 5 years + and gets better with age. nancyrowina

I've read 6 years as long it's the right amount of vinegar and sugar, but I've never had any last that long yet. Smile Luath

It's only because I make so much of it............... Laughing nancyrowina

It'll get that way with me soon, you can always give away jars around Christmas always goes down well. I'll even decorate the jars with a bit of fabric and some ribbons this year I think. mochyn

Hello Whatilly.

I'm sure if you look in the Recipes section (at the top of the page, on the right) there must be chutney recipes there!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home