Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
maxie

Cickens on the veg patch?

Does anyone run their hens on their veg patch during winter?
This is one of the reasons i got some hens as my soils been building up a few pests lke slugs,wireworm and flea beetle and im hoping they will clean it up and fertilize it as well.
perlogalism

We have done in the past and still let the young chicks in there. Now we have pretty much year round produce, the big chickens do too much damage to allow them in the veg patch for long Rolling Eyes
Andrea

Yes, but under serious supervision as they wreck the place when left to their own devices. I always allow them on after lifting the potatoes as we've had an eelworm problem.
KnocknaveaghCobs

Mine are allowed on the veg patch (though I only have three hens), and spent lots of time rooting around for tasty things, but they don't seem to eat the slugs (do other people's chickens eat them?). They weren't allowed on earlier in the summer when everything was a bit young and fragile, but let them have access a bit later once things were established. Next year I will restrict them a bit more - having discovered their delight for carrot and potato leaves Rolling Eyes , but otherwise they have been very well behaved..... and more pooing on the veg patch and less on my front doorstep is always good! Laughing
Finsky

My girls do eat slugs..but only the tiny size..but snails..OHHH, they love them. Whe they hear crushing shells going on they are coming running towards me.. Laughing
KnocknaveaghCobs

My girls do eat slugs..but only the tiny size..but snails..OHHH, they love them. Whe they hear crushing shells going on they are coming running towards me.. Laughing

Brilliant! Laughing Mine are like that with mealworms, they only have to see the packet and they are fit to trample you! Laughing Two I can feed from my hand, but the third is a greedy monster and is not averse to eating bits of finger as well as treat! I'm hoping that they'll pick up a taste for slugs...I've certainly got enough spare..... Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home