Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
arvo

Cider: easiest possible way...?

So....hypothetically speaking.

If one was to try to 'do cider' with the remaining windfalls in the garden, what would one have to do besides bung them all in a brewing bucket and hit them with a likely lump of 3x3.

Bearing in mind our copious amounts of:

a) free time and
b) head space.

Any thoughts/suggestions for easy-making greatly appreciated Smile

xx
gardening-girl

We freeze/defrost the apples before crushing,makes life a damn sight easier.
Luath

You could do a lot worse than 'cottage cider'. I've made this for years now, to try and alleviate the disappointment o years of promises to mend my cider presses. Chop up 12 lbs or so of apples of any type, pour over 1 gallon of very hot water, add 2 1/2 lbs or so of white sugar, stir to dissolve, add in sachet of bread yeast, stir well, cover closely, leave 5 -6 days or so, then strain into demi-john, ferment out and drink. Works for me Smile
arvo

Do I need to fanny about and cut anything out or can I bung them all in cores and all.
Barefoot Andrew

Re: Cider: easiest possible way...?

Any thoughts/suggestions for easy-making greatly appreciated Smile

Invite several DSers round, so we can make it and drink it in one big merry hit Wink
A.
Luath

Do I need to fanny about and cut anything out or can I bung them all in cores and all.

No fannying I promise Laughing Just cut them all up as theya re - might need to give them a bit of a wash f they're mucky but that's it. Cores peels bruises the lot. Keep it simple Very Happy
DorsetScott

Even less fannying around make proper scrumpy. Leave out all the ingredients (except the apple juice). Freeze, thaw method works well for maximum juice with minimum effort, then leave to ferment with natural yeasts.

Taste can be hit or miss though!
Luath

Cottage cider is a good way of making an excellent cider if you don't have a good mix of apples for scrumpy, or access to a press, or a big enough container to ferment the scrumpy in. I make both, so as not to waste any apples at all. If you're cooking with some of the rest of the apple crop too, then the cores/peels can be added to the bucket. bibbster

When will it be ready please? Very Happy gardening-girl

How long does this take to work out usually? Luath

Cottage cider good after about 6 weeks. Cool Finsky

hmm...mmm...I've got loads of apples stored in shed...and we never ever use them all for just eating and cooking....
cottage cider sounds very do-able.. Very Happy
I might even have all the equipment needed stashed away somewhere...but I won't tell hubby what is 'cooking' in spare bedroom or he will be checking the progress all the time..."are we there yet?" Rolling Eyes

Oh..BTW...does it make any difference what yeast is used? As in brewing shops there is beer and wine yeast, are they any better?...would different yeasts have effect to taste?
Luath

I only ever use baker's yeasts in my brewing, usually Dove's Farm DorsetScott

Oh..BTW...does it make any difference what yeast is used? As in brewing shops there is beer and wine yeast, are they any better?...would different yeasts have effect to taste?

As with all brews, no (but kinda)

Chuck in bread yeast and you will get a perfectly drinkable brew, though it can be slightly harder to clear. Same goes for any type of yeast, it'll produce a perfectly drinkable brew.
The specific yeasts tend to have qualities eg fast fermentation, withstand higher alcohol content, impart tiny flavours etc which work well for certain types of brew but it doesn't mean that's the only thing you can or should use.
I have a general purpose wine yeast I use for everything I brew and have never gone wrong.

And your apples will probably already have wild yeasts on them which will ferment your brew if you can't be bothered to put anything in
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home