Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Green Rosie

Cider Vinegar recipe

Has anyone got a recipe for cider vinegar. I have a lot of windfall apples and would love to make some of my own vinegar.

PS hello everyone again!!
Shan

Hiya! (notice the Welsh influence creeping in).

As far as I'm aware from past experience, the easiest method is to press the apples and add a vinegar mother to the juice. Large open topped jar with a muslin over it to allow plenty of oxygen and keep it in a cool dark place (nowhere near any cider making ventures). If it starts to smell like acetone, beat some air into it.

There might be easier methods. Dpack will know!! Laughing
Green Rosie

Bonsoir (note French influence!) ... trouble is I don't have a vinegar mother ...
sean

If you buy a bit of artisanal, non-pasteurised, non-filtered etc vinegar and chuck it in it'll probably get going.
Green Rosie

No need to buy - I have a bottle of that lurking on my shelf. Some recipes I have seen online talk about covering apples with filtered water. Is this necessary?
sean

Nah. Stuff *wants* to be vinegar. Let it get on with it really,
Green Rosie

Merci - will get this going tomorrow.
sean

A bientot.
Slim

I've only ever helped make vinegar intentionally once in Belize and we just mashed/juiced pineapples into buckets and covered with cheesecloth. Also added a bit of mother from their previous batch.
Have accidentally made apple cider vinegar plenty of times in the back of fridge in good apple years when gallon jugs of fresh pressed cider are sometimes gifted left and right.
Shan

I'm sure you must have a Lidl somewhere near you in Calvados... buy a bottle of their white wine vinegar and add it - very susceptible to developing mothers...
Green Rosie

We do indeed have Lidl here - thanks!
gz

If you buy a bit of artisanal, non-pasteurised, non-filtered etc vinegar and chuck it in it'll probably get going.

I started with organic cider and organic cider vinegar....lovely result and I'm on the second batch...just could do with a bit more sun on the windowsill for it to work quicker!
wellington womble

Start off trying to make cider, ime. Good luck!
Green Rosie

Start off trying to make cider, ime. Good luck!

That was my plan .... I'll leave the cider to the local Normans who make oodles of the stuff and sell it at a very reasonable price Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home