Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Lorrainelovesplants

completing grant application forms

Anyone done this?

Im looking to liaise with someone on here to discuss the most successful way of completing a small grant form.

We have a project that is being looked at favourably and as our business has been struggling lately a cash injection is a good way to boost our confidence in a good idea.
Rob R

Unfortunately not, I've just been looking at some but it is that restrictive that we'd end up paying way more out than we needed to just to satisfy the grant people for a poxy 40% Sad
alison

We've done a couple, a few years ago, and were successful. Both RPA farm ones.
welsh veg grower

let me know if you need specific help with anything and I will try my best to help, more used to welsh grants but sure it cant be so different.
T.G

I've completed a few fo defra
Lorrainelovesplants

thanks guys...have to go out for a while, but will be back later to give you some specimen questions... Rolling Eyes
Nick

Indeed. And if there is an advisor, or contact name, speak to them, too.
Rob R

Indeed. And if there is an advisor, or contact name, speak to them, too.

I did that, they basically told me exactly what was in the guidance notes, almost word for word. I'm going to write to them & tell them why we haven't applied.
Lorrainelovesplants

Up to this bit, all the info relates to who the business is owned by, address etc...all stuff I can answer...
Then we have this bit... (which Id like to put as briefly but as professionally as possible)

Section 2. About the project
a) Area covered by the project(Im supposed to write something here)
b)why do you want the grant and what will you spend it on? (Maximum 350 words)

The next bit Ive got problems with is....
Section 3. Gateway questions (Ive copied & pasted them).

a) Does the project support the creation or development of a business with less than 10 employees?
b) Is the project new and not to upgrade or replace existing equipment?
c) Can you prove the need for the project and demonstrate that it makes sound business sense?
d) Can you show there will be an increase in economic activity due to the project?
e) Are you able to list the alternatives to the project that you’ve considered?
f) Will there be benefits in the area that will continue after the end of the project?
g) Are the project or beneficiaries based in the Local Action Group area?
h) Does someone in your organisation have relevant experience?
i) Have any necessary planning permissions, regulatory compliance or consent been applied for?
j) Are you able to identify the problems that may arise when delivering the project?
k) Is the grant request (2g) from Local Action between £1,000 and £10,000?
l) Are you able to cash flow the project? (as the grant will be paid in arrears)
m) Have you agreement for the other funding, or an idea of how this will be sourced?
n) Does your project contribute to a sustainable environment, energy efficiency and developing a low carbon community?
o) Will you be able to start your project within 5 months of a grant offer being made?
p) Will your project end by September 2013?
crofter

Without knowing more about what exactly the project involves, it is difficult to answer the questions, but for the one which asks "b)why do you want the grant and what will you spend it on? (Maximum 350 words)" you should say that you want the grant because your business cannot currently afford the investment without assistance, and you will spend it on [describe what you will use the money for, and include some of the points from the guidance notes which apply to your project] I am currently working on a couple of grant applications, the problem with many of them is that the money you are applying for is often not worth the time spent to get it. (And your application may fail anyway!) Once you have done one application, the next time is much easier.
Lorrainelovesplants

350 words isnt a lot though....
I was torn between just listing what I wanted and what it was for, and putting my reasons for the project. This is why sometimes, someone else who has done it is a good way of looking at the questions with another pair of eyes.
crofter

Read the guidance notes. There will be objectives which the grants are supposed to help achieve, you need to emphasise the ones which fit your project and show how an award to you will help towards those objectives.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home