Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
cab

Continuing Adventures of Snuffles the Hedgehog (part 2)

Snuffles was lazy, and hungry. By New Year, Snuffles had gained 7oz in weight and was in danger of not being able to roll up into a ball if she continued at that rate.

She had to have another dose of worming treatment to kill lung worms because she was still coughing sometimes; her Idiots were also keeping the heat quite low where she stayed and letting her out lots to excercise, but mostly she just wanted to sleep.

She had developed a lot of trust for one of her idiots, Cab, who she was by now happy to walk all over, and to try to push behind when he was sitting on the sofa. She didn't like Elliphant as much, suspecting Elliphant of being a hedgehog eating monster she would always roll into a ball if Elliphant tried to pick her up.

She had decided that her favourite food was the wet hedgehog food, but she also really liked half of every peanut she found, spitting the other half out every time.

Other than the cough, she was thriving. But still smelly.
jamanda

Is this a free range indoors hedgehog then?
cab

Jamanda wrote:
Is this a free range indoors hedgehog then?

Not quite. She's allowed to roam in the downstairs loo or the upstairs bathroom in the evening, and we're letting her run about in the living room when she really wants to, but she normally doesn't want to. She's inspected every evening when I change her bedding, which is when she's tending to wander around in the living room and poke about on the sofa, but usually when I put her cat carrier out where she can find it then she wants to go straight back in there under the straw (which she seems to prefer massively to the much bigger box we've also offered her).

She's quite happy to sit on the sofa, wander around a bit, eat half of every peanut I leave out for her and then come and sit right next to me and fall asleep. She's even sat on my lap this evening, eaten a peanut, and fallen asleep there.
jamanda

Photos?
Nick

And next on ITV3, The Jeremy Kyle Show; Why I left my girlfriend for a hedgehog.
Penny Outskirts

She fell asleep on your lap Shocked

Derek still sleeping Very Happy
BahamaMama

Awww.... love10 Snuffles sounds lovely. Are you just nursing him/her through the winter to release in spring?
Northern_Lad

Penny wrote:
She fell asleep on your lap Shocked

That's nothing compared to where Ellie's fallen asleep. Shocked Laughing
sean

BahamaMama wrote:
Awww.... love10 Snuffles sounds lovely.

Eh? If a bloke wandered around the house coughing, farting and dropping peanuts he'd be in dead trouble.
BahamaMama

sean wrote:
BahamaMama wrote:
Awww.... love10 Snuffles sounds lovely.

Eh? If a bloke wandered around the house coughing, farting and dropping peanuts he'd be in dead trouble.

True Rolling Eyes and my bloke is snuffling at the moment too revolting
cab

Jamanda wrote:
Photos?

Haven't taken any since before Christmas, this is the last one:

cab

BahamaMama wrote:
Awww.... love10 Snuffles sounds lovely. Are you just nursing him/her through the winter to release in spring?

Yep, thats the plan. See also Adventures of Snuffles part 1 Smile
hedgewitch

She doesn't look very... um... prickly? Is that because she is young? I have only seen adult hedgehogs in any detail.
marigold

Aww isn't she gorgeous? Very Happy
cab

hedgewitch wrote:
She doesn't look very... um... prickly? Is that because she is young? I have only seen adult hedgehogs in any detail.

She's got plenty of prickles Smile

hedgewitch

Laughing

She just looks quite soft in that first photo Laughing
Marionb

I'm not a hedgehog fan but she does look lovely Very Happy
cab

Their little claws are quite hard, and the prickles, but the rest of a hedgehog is really, really soft.
hedgewitch

cab wrote:
Their little claws are quite hard, and the prickles, but the rest of a hedgehog is really, really soft.

I am intrigued - I have kept a distance from them before, partly because they are wild and partly because of the fleas. Laughing I had no idea they were soft at all. Cool
gil

So what about the fleas ? Does she have any ?
cab

gil wrote:
So what about the fleas ? Does she have any ?

No. I took her to the vet the day after we found her, no fleas or ticks. Hypothermia probably took care of those.
cab

hedgewitch wrote:

I am intrigued - I have kept a distance from them before, partly because they are wild and partly because of the fleas. Laughing I had no idea they were soft at all. Cool

I wanted to avoid taming her at all, the only handling I wanted to give her was in and out of the cage/excercise area, but she soon started snuffling at me and actually coming to see me; she doesn't stay rolled in a ball when being transferred, she goes snuffling in my sleeve (sort of soft but firm nose, like on a pig).
Penny Outskirts

Derek was like that with me before he hibernated, they're really soft and fluffy underneath, and have just the cutest noses Very Happy

It's quite hard to stay distant with an animal that snuffles at you in quite that way Embarassed
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home