Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
shadiya

Converting a quad to electric

My quad has had the thumbs down from the mechanic Sad

Which is a bummer, given the rate of progress with ponies Embarassed

So, now wondering about converting it to electric, as the chassis is still good and only problem is the electrics/engine. Obviously, I mean to have nothing to do with the actual work itself, as it is clearly mechanical, I simply need to find info to give to some poor unsuspecting other person as a nice little project for them.... Wink

So if anyone has any links to anything that might be useful, please let me know. Very Happy
Rob R

Laughing
Shane

What type of quad is it? I'd have thought it would be cheaper to fix / replace the engine than to convert to electrically driven, surely? They tend to have fairly standard engines - at least the ones out here do, anyway, but they're mainly for fun, not heavy duty.
shadiya

Laughing

Shush you....

I'm only wondering..... Wink
Ty Gwyn

Couldnt you fit pedals to a dynamo?
onemanband

If it's a sports quad with chain drive then its's just a simple ( Laughing ) matter of chucking in an electric motor and half a ton of batteries.
If it's an agri quad with 4 wheel drive then it would be a lot more complicated.
Have you considered jet propulsion ? No moving parts other than a gas valve and will not require connecting the drive-shafts.
Tavascarow

What about putting in a diesel engine & running it on recycled cooking oil?
Shane

Surely any quad big enough to fit a diesel engine would be called a "car"?

Jet engine's a good idea - although it might be a little harder to select reverse gear Laughing
Bungo

Plenty of diesel motor bikes in India Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWUR4pNxcFk&feature=related
Ty Gwyn

Polaris are diesel quads
Shane

Polaris are diesel quads
I guess my view is slightly distorted by the quads I've seen out here (including many Polarises) - never come across a diesel one before! tahir

I think he meant they do a diesel quad. If I had the money I'd buy one as it'd mean the end of lugging 20 ltr cans to the petrol station for the quad. shadiya

Thing is, quads come clearly under the heading of machinery so I know nothing. It's a Honda, petrol, red and it doesn't work, what can I say??? Wink

There is an electric Honda quad so I reckon someone clever could do something but that someone is not going to be me cos I am NOT a machinery person. I was hoping someone here might be suitably nerdish in the right way and say, 'ooh yes, electric quad, what a good idea, here are some plans I found on the internet '
etc etc

Just have to keep fingers crossed that a nerdy wwoofer with an electronics degree turns up! Wink
Nick

A better option is to find a man with a spanner, and a dead or dying one on eBay, or a breakers, and transplant.

I'd reckon the conversion would be more expensive than buying a new one.
Rob R

Just have to keep fingers crossed that a nerdy wwoofer with an electronics degree turns up! Wink

I'm sufficiently nerdy enough to know that an electronics degree won't be much good...

Hondas petrols are the dog's though, so probably worth replacing that or getting a wheel barrow instead.
Jonnyboy

Electric quads are toys, and crap. If you convert you'll be either spending a fortune or having something cobbled together from a washing machine motor and some car batteries, in which case it will be heavier and it WILL let you down.

However, if you are sure, I'm happy to swap your dead petrol quad for our alive electric one. Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home