Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Mutton

Converting oil tank to water butt - adding tap

We got a large cylindrical oil tank from Freecycle which we are going to use as a water butt. It stands about 5 feet tall.
At the moment, there is the oil pipe coming from the bottom of it - really a bit small for water. See photo

We want to upgrade or replace it - ideally with a wider bore pipe and a tap. However, given it is a tall, sealed at the top, tank, we can't put in the normal water pipe compression fittings - the sort where you have to be able to get at both sides to tighten what is basically a nut clamping on a washer.
Any suggestions on what fittings to use?

If we just have to put a tap on the existing pipe, any suggestions where to look for the bits?
welshboy454

Unscrew the silver bit from the rusty bit ( make sure you don't break the seal between the rusty bit and the tank)and take the silver bit with the thread as a guide to a builders merchant/plumbing side they will fix you up.
crofter

I think you can put in a bigger fitting. Looks like it would be easier to cut a new hole than p around with the old rusty stuff. Fix a piece of twine onto the external end of the new fitting, (rolling hitch) fish this out through the hole with a piece of wire and drop the rest into the tank. Pull it out and hold the end outside the tank with a pair of grips while you tighten the nut. Ebay and screwfix spring to mind as possible sources...
vegplot

ex oil tank as a water butt! Is that wise?
digit

If its a 3/4" bsp thread screwfix have got the male adaptors to convert it to a 25mm,You'll have to steam clean the oil tank out first, i done one this week for another project,(its a messy job)
mochyn

vegplot wrote:
ex oil tank as a water butt! Is that wise?

I was thinking the same. How are you going to clean it out before using it?
Mutton

Its has sat around all summer in the sun (when it was shining) and the wind with the filler cap open - the whiff of oil has steadily decreased and now it is barely there. It had already been sitting around unused for a while.

We will round off with steam.
vegplot

Just be aware that oil will have leached into the plastic and you'll always have some cross contamination of the water albeit at very low levels. Is this for garden use?
Mutton

Greenhouse mainly.

Also thought that there were bacteria that break down oil over a few months.
vegplot

Oil will degrade quite quickly once exposed to bacteria although that doesn't preclude plants being continuously exposed to oil based products over extended periods if feed directly. However, it is likely that over the longer term the level of leachate will be very, very low but it's worth knowing the potential risks.
Bodger

Where about do you live Mut ? I don't suppose you live in North Wales, I might be able to help you out with something very reasonable. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home