Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
tai haku

Coop Query

Does anyone have any thoughts on the big one of these?
http://www.carefreecoops.co.uk/

I like the idea of plastic for:
ease of cleaning;
ease of maintenance (ie no staining/painting over time); and
consistency.

Realistically I'm likely to wind up ordering mail order as the range on island isn't great and I'm not that keen on buying a wooden equivalent mail order in case the wood is thin/crappy.

Of course, if you all tell me it is terrible and should never be used ever that would be a deal-breaker.
alison

My only critasism of the one shown is the nest boxes are at the same height as the perches, so they will get used at night and the eggs will be dirty. Perches are better higher than nest boxes, and are done so for a reason.
Bodger

I couldn't find a price for them, have I missed it somewhere? I would imagine that they are extremely pricey.
Nick

http://www.brinsea.co.uk/carefree-coops/
tai haku

I couldn't find a price for them, have I missed it somewhere? I would imagine that they are extremely pricey.

They're either:

a - not that bad compared to Eglu or the top end wooden brands I've seen online; or

b - ridiculous money compared to something someone more skilled than I could make for next to nothing or something I'd be worried about buying online for fear of it being made out of crappy wood and falling to pieces in a year,

depending upon your skill level and viewpoint.
Bodger

I've very recently had to go to quite a lot of expense trying to control the redmite in my chicken sheds, so I'm more than keen to look at anything that claims not to be redmite friendly. Very Happy
Woo

is space an issue? if not would you consider something you can get in to clean? my first coop was a small affair and cleaning the thing out was a pain in the b*m. it looked good etc but scraping out chicken poo on all fours is not nice, especially in the winter when they spend more time pooping indoors.
i've adapted a shed i can stand up in and created perches higher than nest boxes and have room for some bins to keep the food dry in the poor weather.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home