Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
sean

Copper draught-proofing strip

If you're fitting this to a door, punch through the dimples which mark the nailing points on a flat surface, rather than trying to nail through them on the door-frame. Sorry if everyone else knows that, but I worked it out on my own, and it makes it quicker and easier. And you spend less time hammering your fingers.

Copper draught proofing strip

Hi Sean.

Your tip is helpful. But I've looked all over for rolls of copper insulating strip, without success. Any idea where it's available?

Regards,

DIYer
sean

I got mine from the hardware store in town.
sean

I'm off into town in a minute, so I'll find and post the name of the makers if they've got any in stock.
sean

Not much joy I'm afraid. It's called:
L&L Proper Copper Draught Strip. Product 61006
Couldn't see an address or contact number though.
wellington womble

How does copper draughtproof? Someone mentioned this a while back as a cheaper way of keeping lsugs and snails at bay, but it turns out to be more expensive than copper tape! 16 odd quid for 6m - tape is a fiver for 4. Remembered to look in the hardware store earlier, at last!
sean

It's springy so it sticks out from the doorframe and makes a seal when the door is closed.
DIYer

Thanks, Sean, for the name and product no. I'll see if I can track it down somewhere on the net.
dougal

wellington womble wrote:
... way of keeping {sl}ugs and snails at bay, but it turns out to be more expensive than copper tape! 16 odd quid for 6m - tape is a fiver for 4.

Its thicker than the tape I've seen. Much more robust, and being springy, less easy to bend - - blowlamp? But maybe more permanent nailed along the edge of a raised bed... Awkward for a pot though.
And its wider - an inch wide?
More copper will make it more expensive...
DIYer

Sean

Haven't managed to track down L & L. If you could post the name, address etc of the hardware store where you saw the copper strip, I'll ask them to send me a roll by post. Many thanks.
sean

I bought it from Ferry's Home Hardware, 3 High St, Torrington Tel 01805622496.
They're part of a group, the head office is:
Home Hardware (Southwest) Ltd
Upcott Avenue
Pottington Business Park
Barnstaple
Tel: 01271326222
The H.O. might be able to put you on to the supplier so you can find a local stockist.
dpack

atomic draftproofing strip i saw some on the market as a collectable sat last .if its still there this sat i will get it as slug fence.
bigsteamroller

If you can't find copper draught strip locally, it's usually listed on ebay.

Roy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home