Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Copper tools?

Is there anything to the supposed effects on slugs and snails? It all sounds a bit woo. And do they stay sharp enough to be useful?
vegplot

I'm not sure it matters what you slice a slug in half with the effect is largely the same.
Hairyloon

Sounds homeopathic to me. Gastropods certainly don't like copper, but not to the extent that they'd avoid somewhere that it has been...
As to staying sharp, presumably the copper age people kept their tools sharp enough for long enough to invent bronze.
vegplot

They'd be a bit bendy and wouldn't stand up to much hard use.
dpack

ideal for dismantling magnetic mines,handling materials that might react to a spark and as a simple but rather spiffy axe before anybody thought of mixing metals to make alloys Laughing

as to repelling the slimey hoard ,i recon they will work if used for a stout blow to the head Twisted Evil
OtleyLad

I bought myself a copper trowel a few years ago - it looked very nice Rolling Eyes
It was said that soil would not stick to it - but of course it does.
Its still in one piece and as a trowel it works very well. No sign of rust of course so it could last for a long time.
onemanband

I've got a copper mallet and it's not at all sharp.
A bit messy, but could be used on slugs.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I've got a copper mallet and it's not at all sharp.
A bit messy, but could be used on slugs.

Laughing

I'm already "the weird one", I wonder what they'd think of real-life whack-a-mole.
dpack

i also have a copper mallet,one end has a "socket" for a roll of rawhide.

spose it would work for slugs or snails but i prefer the zorro style snick snick snick and it is done to thump splash Twisted Evil
Mistress Rose

NMG, I think the theory is that as you use the tools a small amount of copper comes off in the soil and deters the slugs and snails. Not sure if it works in practise though. The only way to know is perhaps buy one copper tool, perhaps a trowel like Otleylads, and see if it makes any difference. It may well depand on things like soil acidity, stoniness, and various other complex things.
Hairyloon

A more scientific was might be to catch some slugs and see what is the smallest amount of copper that'll repel them.
Might also want to compare that figure with the toxicity of copper: if the tools are leaving enough to upset the slugs and that is accumulated by your root vegetables, then might it cause a bother?
Falstaff

Sounds homeopathic to me. Gastropods certainly don't like copper, but not to the extent that they'd avoid somewhere that it has been....

Don't they ?

I think I'd start off with a cage of slugs and place a piece of copper pipe in there - to see if they really avoid it or not ? Embarassed
Hairyloon

Sounds homeopathic to me. Gastropods certainly don't like copper, but not to the extent that they'd avoid somewhere that it has been....

Don't they ?

I think I'd start off with a cage of slugs and place a piece of copper pipe in there - to see if they really avoid it or not ? Embarassed
We know that they'll avoid the pipe. Take the pipe away and see if they avoid the place that it was.

If so, then isn't the easiest answer to use copper watering cans?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

The woo I saw was that we have iron in our blood and gastropods have copper. Something something Earth's magnetic field. When we use iron tools we leave a magnetic trail which the slimies get confused by and get "stuck" and hungry next to our plants. Copper tools don't disturb the magnetic field so they just trundle on by and kindly leave the plants alone... Treacodactyl

The woo I saw was that we have iron in our blood and gastropods have copper.

I think they're confusing slugs with Vulcans.
OtleyLad

I bought myself a copper trowel a few years ago - it looked very nice Rolling Eyes
It was said that soil would not stick to it - but of course it does.
Its still in one piece and as a trowel it works very well. No sign of rust of course so it could last for a long time.

I should have mentioned that the slugs are still with us and voracious as ever.
I also have a habit of using the trowel and leaving it stuck in the ground where I last used it - it can sit there in all weathers for several days (or weeks Embarassed ). Clearly the slugs haven't read the blurb.
dpack

one should slap them with a copper mallet,calculatingly violent critters who get really nasty in the rutting season
dpack

ive just remembered i have a 6" length of 2"diameter with 3/8" wall from a victorian mill steam boiler.

sliced at an angle lengthways it would make two very nice trowel blades Idea
sean

one should slap them with a copper mallet,calculatingly violent critters who get really nasty in the rutting season

Vulcans? I thought it was Klingons who were violent. Confused
dpack

iirc when spock got horny and needed to go home it was a bit dangeroos even though he is(will be) half human.

what an odd thread Laughing Laughing Laughing

homeopathic trowels and the mating rituals of imaginary half aliens Laughing
gregotyn

I thought Vulcans were V bombers; were used by the military, but I understand redundant now; I hadn't heard that they were being used to kill slugs, seems a bit like overkill to me, arrrh sheltered life. In the next breath I have always had success with copper wire keeping the slugs off my vegetables, but I use large boxes rather than raised beds on the ground, and sit down to my veg growing-it is an age thing! NorthernMonkeyGirl

Spock aside, if you do slice that copper into trowels I'll have one off you Laughing I'd pay you and everything (if you stick a handle on it).

I haven't had a trowel since snapping my last one a couple of years ago. I've been using a poundland "folding camping shovel". It's fine until you poke something the wrong way and it folds on your fingers.
dpack

ok i will slice it up and put handles on them next week (rain permitting as i need to work outside for such things ) NorthernMonkeyGirl

No rush Very Happy

Perhaps I could come have a nosey at the orchard? I'm too far for regular helping out but could come for a mass winter prune or something Laughing
dpack

ace , the winter prune will be quite an adventure in the old trees . Laughing NorthernMonkeyGirl

Sounds it!
Have you been around with a spray can and marked up any "this has no leaves" branches etc?
dpack

not yet ,first thing is to have a site meeting with the dormouse management and get the secretary and treasure in place

im awaiting a phone call to arrange that

im going to do a remedial prune to the prone pair and try to protect the trunks from mowing asap

then it is planning for the winter works ,finding pipes ,chatting to archeologists etc etc
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Ahh yes, I forgot the odds of finding a few Vikings are pretty good Very Happy Mistress Rose

Doesn't sound as if copper trowels work very well then Otley Lad.

Your orchard is sounding more and more interesting Dpack. Dormice and Vikings. In Chichester, which is not too far from us, the people who dig holes in roads etc. are quite good on Roman archaeology, and it sounds as if the York ones are pretty good on the Vikings.
dpack

in town the roman layer is about 4 to 5 m down with the viking layer at about 3 m ,out of the town centre the roman layer can be quite close to the surface .
as the orchard is either above or just to the side of the line of dere st which is the main road to the far north from roman times onwards it is possible that a hole big enough for a decent sized tree to be planted might contain anything from roman through viking to more recent .
Mistress Rose

Sounds as if deep holes in York can be very interesting then Dpack. dpack

there is interesting which is good and i want to get 25 fairly big fruit trees in the floor this winter which might get delayed Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home