Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Green Rosie

Coppicing morning

Feeling really happy this evening. OH and I did a morning's coppicing for a couple of friends. They got some really overgrown hazel cut back and some logs. We got lots of:

Stakes and binders for when we lay our hedges soon
Bean poles
Pea sticks ....
and about half the logs

Plus a great lunch.

No money exchanged hands and 4 happy people

Very Happy
Treacodactyl

Well done, the hazel bean poles should last for several seasons. Do you protect the stools from browsing animals over there or isn't there much of a problem from rabbits, deer etc?
BahamaMama

What a great way to work - it was the 'happy people' bit at the end that really appealed. Very Happy
Green Rosie

Treacodactyl wrote:
Well done, the hazel bean poles should last for several seasons. Do you protect the stools from browsing animals over there or isn't there much of a problem from rabbits, deer etc?

There are deer and rabbits around - but not too many and seeing the way the coppice has previously grown I don't think they eat too much re-growth.

We hope to do several more days coppicing over the winter as well as getting some of our hedges laid.
wellington womble

One of the things I really wish we had is a bit of hazel woodland. It's the one thing I feel we could manage, without it getting away from us, landwise. I am generally reduced to buying hazel sticks (and they're not cheap either!)

Off to gaze at the small woods association website........
Green Rosie

I'd also love a bit of woodland. One of my dreams is to buy the field next to us and plant it up with a mixed woodland. It is nice to have dreams.
Treacodactyl

When we moved in we planted a few 1 year old trees at the back of our garden, including hazel. They produced nuts after about 5 years and decent sized bean poles in 6 years, so well worth planting if you have some space.
Green Rosie

We do have space - and also plan to add hazel as one of the species in the gaps in the hedges.
vegplot

Green Rosie wrote:
I'd also love a bit of woodland. One of my dreams is to buy the field next to us and plant it up with a mixed woodland. It is nice to have dreams.

We have the same dream
Blue Sky

I have a similar task at hand soon. A friend bought a lake surrounded by woodland last year. He wants to clear the woodland in order to build a challet near the lake for fishing holidays. He doesn't want/need any of the wood as he lives in UK and only visits now and then.

I have offered to help him out. Wink
mochyn

We've got lots of hazel in the hedges and some free-standing. Good in hedges: makes lovely tidy hedging. Some needs coppicing though: the old chap's not got round to it, so I might have a go one day soon!
wellington womble

Ooh - I have permission to plant a hedge soon, too. I fancy hazel
and sloe, but I love beech and I want some holly for Christmas, and I've never seen a spindle berry, so I want some of those too. May have to extend the hedge!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home