Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
madcat

Coriander,how do you all grow it?

I've tried in the border,something razors it off as soon as it gets a leaf above ground.
I tried in pots on the windowsill and that produced weedy lanky plants, Lidl crap compost?
I tried in homemade compost in the greenhouse and did a bit better but it seeds very quick.
One year I managed to get a few plants to flourish next to the house but never since.
I love coriander so what could I try or do to get the plants to thrive.
Shan

I have had the same problems.
Went

We grow two ways, one in amongst the vegetables in good organic compost and grown in clay under an apple tree but they both go to seed very quickly, the veg one better but not by much.

Edited to add, the earlier in the season the better.
Mary-Jane

Sow it very thickly and frequently in pots or rows (every 3 or 4 weeks is best). It doesn't like to be too hot. Keep it moist.
If you're sowing it outside, it's worth throwing a bit of netting over it until the growth has a chance to get going.

From experience, the secret appears to be thick sowing, keeping moist and don't let it get dry/too hot.
Finsky

..and add to all the previous posts...if you grow it in pots..keep the pot in deep saucer where you can keep small amount of water all the time for the roots.
I have better success with coriander when I don't keep it in full sun.

Water, water, water and lush growing conditions
marigold

Are you using leaf coriander seed? If yes, I can't help, if not, then buy some and you should get a better result. I did Smile .

E.g. http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p784/CORIANDER-Cilantro/product_info.html
MornieG

Planted it for the second time this year and it's gone to seed now as last time,but I will collect and dry the seeds and use it that way.

Mo.XX
sgt.colon

I too love coriander but found it to much like hard work to grow. So now I grow it from the local fruit and veg shop.
dpack

get a cheap food grade bag of seeds ,sow thickly in plots .

or just chuck seed around and see where it grows
sgt.colon

What about trying it micro style?
Tavascarow

get a cheap food grade bag of seeds ,sow thickly in plots .

or just chuck seed around and see where it grows

Ditto cheap seed intended for spice racks.
I sow in the soil in the tunnel & repeat sow every couple of months.
Finsky

Coriander is one of those crops that does need to be sown several times during season even in best possible growing conditions.
They do run to seed and are 'design' to do so..the only difference favourable conditions make is the amount of growth it manages to make before it has completed its short growing time.
Yes....right variety does makes difference too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home