Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Nick

Cork?

Anyone here in Cork?
Chez

We went there for a week last summer - it's REALLY expensive. But nice.
sean

I think Nick's probably more asking in a 'can anyone deliver half a dead animal' fashion than 'should I go on my holidays/buy a house'.
Could be wrong though, it has happened.
Chez

Ah, sorry. If he'd said 'is anyone GOING to Cork, that would have been clearer'.

But I am particularly dozy this evening. Sorry.
gil

Woyuld that be Cork City, or County Cork ? And if the latter, whereabouts - it's quite a large area.
Penny Outskirts

I thought he was going to be asking about Cork Oaks, they grow in Spain and Portugal don't they? Don't think they'd survive the wet in Herefordshire though Confused
Nick

Tomorrow, with very little notice I am going to Cork. So, I wondered if anyone on here was there. And I mean Cork City.

So, ner.
sean

I did say that I could be wrong. Have a nice time. Take some posters.
Nick

Can't (yet) ship there. Otherwise I would!
sean

Bah, posters first, logistics later.
@Calli

sean wrote:
Bah, posters first, logistics later.

Rolling Eyes

Ahem

Its not like Wales you know? Laughing
hedgewitch

I'm not sure the Irish are too fond of British meat... Shocked
sean

Calli wrote:

It is exactly like Wales. It's part of Europe and it rains all the time, where's the difference?
gil

Places to go / eat / drink

Quay Co-Op cafe, Sullivans Quay
Triskel Arts Centre cafe
Didn't Dennis Cotter have a restaurant in Cork ?

There were many good pubs, most probably long since changed.
The Long Valley; Isaac Bells; the wooden pub at the foot of the steps up to Shandon Cathedral.... and so many more

Enjoy your visit.
vegplot

sean wrote:
Calli wrote:

It is exactly like Wales. It's part of Europe and it rains all the time, where's the difference?

It doesn't rain all the time in Wales. Some parts are predominantely dry and sunny, some are very wet. Too varied a climate to generalise.
Jonnyboy

Nick, go to the english market on princes street. Apparantly there is a restaurant upstarirs which is amazing.
@Calli

vegplot wrote:
sean wrote:
Calli wrote:

It doesn't rain all the time in Wales. Some parts are predominantely dry and sunny, some are very wet. Too varied a climate to generalise.

'Course I can - hell we have the Euro....and Guinness
Chez

I've eaten in the English Market restaurant. It's brilliant. You can sit on the balcony and watch everyone buying their meat.

When we were there, our main game was 'how fab a lunch could you get for 10 euro' Smile.
Róisín

I *was* near yesterday but have come back home today Laughing Have fun. Let me know if you need road directions or anything...
kevin.vinke

Calli wrote:
vegplot wrote:
sean wrote:
Calli wrote:

'Course I can - hell we have the Euro....and Guinness

I thought Beamish being Cork?
Nick

Drive like a mad dog for 3.5 hours to get to the airport, get to check in with 4 minutes to spare.....flight delayed by an hour and the bar has no Bombay. Did I upset a God, of something somewhere?

So, I'll be in cork, this evening, around 10pm. If they don't have gin, I shall cry. Back in 24 hours, so may not even have time for anything to eat of choice.

Oh, the glamour of international travel.
dougal

Nick wrote:
...flight delayed by an hour and the bar has no Bombay. Did I upset a God, of something somewhere?
Dunno. Which deity booked you on Ryanair?

Nick wrote:
... If they don't have gin, I shall cry. Back in 24 hours, so may not even have time for anything to eat of choice. ...

But you should be drinking stout... before you get "tired and emotional".
And don't try to pull the jet-lag stunt. Just because you've gone back 50 years in less than an hour...
Nick

Bah, Ryanair didn't have useful flights. BMI (baby).

And, I am here, in a VERY plush room (huge TV, stereo, two massive beds, minibar, free broadband) with a cold beer. Still only Gordon's in the minibar, but, I guess you can't have everything.

Tapas platter and Greek salad being delivered within 15 minutes!
gil

Which hotel have they put you up in ?
You do know that closing time isn't till midnight (or is that only in summer ?)
Nick

Jury's, room with a massive glass extension/window over the river. Room service turned up within about 6 minutes.

Top hotel, not small and friendly, but perfect for a quick business trip. And only around 109 Euro. For more, I've stayed in much, much worse places.
Nick

I'm too tired to go out. I left home at 7 this morning, have driven to Harrogate, done a day's work and back to Brum. Snuggling up with all your Downsizers is enough for me this evening.
Chez

Nick wrote:
I'm too tired to go out. I left home at 7 this morning, have driven to Harrogate, done a day's work and back to Brum. Snuggling up with all your Downsizers is enough for me this evening.

Aw, that's so sweet Laughing
Nick

heh.

English market is great, Jonnyboy is right. But not to eat at, it's more redolent of Oxford covered market. There was an upstairs cafe, which I didn't venture too, because I actually fancied a pint.
dougal

Nick wrote:
English market is great, Jonnyboy is right. But not to eat at, it's more redolent of Oxford covered market. There was an upstairs cafe, which I didn't venture too, because I actually fancied a pint.

The caf was where Rick Stein chose to eat (and IIRC, drink...)
Sounded as though they used the market for much of their supply (as does the restaurant in the Goods Shed in Canterbury).
Just as well you didn't go on the ferry...
Jonnyboy

dougal wrote:

The caf was where Rick Stein chose to eat (and IIRC, drink...)

It was, he never listens that boy.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home