Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sally_in_wales

Corks

Been sorting out my jars and crocks and I seen to to have a lots without stoppers. Does anyone know of a reasonable online supplier of corks in varous sizes- mostly I need 2 or 3 inch corks I think.
cab

It's a pain finding funny size stoppers, isn't it?

I've ordered from this company before:

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cat41_1.htm
sally_in_wales

Ah yes, have had brewing stuff from them in the past. They certainy have all the sizes. Big corks are horribly expensive aren't they- I had no idea!

I think I may start picking up jars at carbootsales just for the corks to swap onto my crocks and pots, even if it means putting the jar itself into the recycling bag! I frequently see hideous glass jars with corks going for just a few pence, and it never occurred to me to look at them for the cork rather than the bottle!

Maybe I should get himself to turn me some stoppers on the lathe- that might be even better as we can use local wood too. hmm, another project for his list I think Wink
cab

I guess it depends on how good a seal you need. Not a lot of woods have the 'give' that cork has. But if you do get him to lathe you some stoppers, let us know how well they work out? Smile
wellington womble

You can buy sheets of cork for insulation - I think you might have to buy in bulk, but it has so many zillions of uses, I don't think you'll regret. I've even slept on it in the past! And cut an emergency stopper for an air bed. It probably comes in varying thicknesses (the ones we had were about 3 or 4 inches thick) and it make absolutely fantastic kindling. You could cut your own stoppers to whatever size you need then.

I think it came from warren insulation, but I'll check it out with himself when he gets home - he used to supply them. We found out about it when someone was using stacks of them for seats at glastonbury -it's really warm and comfy!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home