Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Cost of domains

What is the going rate for domain hosting nowadays and what should one expect for the money?
Chez

I think i pay about 50 a year for the hosting. Domain itself is negligible because I have a dot co dot uk one. Have a look at 123 - reg.
vegplot

We charge website hosting from 23.88 pa (28.66 inc.) and domains from 4.99 (5.98 ) per year.
alison

If you have an app, does it have a domain name, or how does that work. Does it have to be a separate one?
vegplot

If you have an app, does it have a domain name, or how does that work. Does it have to be a separate one?

To generalise. An online app (website) will need a domain. It can be a domain of it's own e.g. example.com or a subdomain of an existing one e.g. app.example.com. The latter domain doesn't attract domain registration fees as it's piggybacking an existing domain.

A mobile phone/tablet type app doesn't require a domain.
Falstaff

Well that's me completely lost now ! Embarassed Laughing
Hairyloon

Have a look at 123 - reg.

Thanks, they are who I am with. Wink

To generalise. An online app (website) will need a domain. It can be a domain of it's own e.g. example.com or a subdomain of an existing one e.g. app.example.com. The latter domain doesn't attract domain registration fees as it's piggybacking an existing domain.
So if you have example.com, how do you set up app.example.com?
vegplot

Have a look at 123 - reg.
Thanks, they are who I am with. Wink

So if you have example.com, how do you set up app.example.com?

All you need do is create an A record and point it to the relevant IP address that hosts the service. If it's a website then you then need to tell the web server the web site should response to this domain.

For instance if we have a web service onto that we want to handle app.example.com we first set up the website (it could be a new site or existing site) so that it knows it has a new identity (host header) app.example.com. Then we edit the zone file (DNS) and in the example.com we create an A record pointing to the IP address that corresponds to website that handles app.example.com.

That's the hands-on way of doing it. Most providers will simplify this in some way.
Nick

Just as an aside, it's very pleasing to see example.com actually exists. vegplot

Just as an aside, it's very pleasing to see example.com actually exists.

Oh yes. It's a reserved domain just for this purpose.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home