Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Toffer

Cost of gas cylinders advice

I'm just getting myself kitted out with a gas welding setup after doing a course at the local college, I think I've got a good deal on the kit so the next stage is the gasses, anyone give me an idea what a good price for porta-pac size oxy and acetylene is?
maryf

We, or strictly speaking the OH, go to BOC, there's a branch not too far away. I can't remember the last price we paid but look at www.boc.com You do have to actually set up an account with them now - something to do with that elfin safety.
gil

Also helps with cost, ISTR, because you can get the deposit back on cylinders you return.
Brownbear

With BOC you rent the cylinders, either by the year or month. The Y size is the most economical as a rule.

Why gas welding, by the way? Pretty much everyone has given up on that now. Is it for a special project that requires it, or do you just enjoy welding with gas?

I've got hoses, regs and a torch that I barely ever use any more. In fact, they'll almost certainly end up on Ebay before long.
Toffer

We had a go with all three on the course and I just found gas the easiest to get along with, almost therapeutic in a way. I also already had an arc welder but need to be able to do work with thinner stuff too so had a choice of getting mig or gas, I understand mig is more efficient but I just got on with gas well and I like the idea of being able to do work out of electrical range without having to mess about with generators etc.

It's one of our plans when we get a place to do courses on basic skills and hopefully I'll have developed my own enough by then to do a morning on basic welding so will probably be on the lookout for some extra equipment nearer the time.
RichardW

If you can gas weld you will almost certainly be able to TIG weld.

But the up side to having a gas set up is you can also do cutting & heating up of stuff.

Personally I just mig stuff cos its cheap, quick, easy, does most jobs.

BOC have a special offer on at the min on MIG gas (£60 for the gas & years rental & refills at £25 with no handling charge).
Toffer

To be honest, I probably should have done the course before buying the arc welder but benefit of hindsight and all that..
RichardW

Nah arcs good for stuff like

welding dissimilar metals as the rods will be cheaper than a real of wire & a diff shield gas.
gouging
when your outside & its windy
putting down a lot of metal in a short time
Toffer

What's gouging?
RichardW

Cutting or removing metal with an arc using a gouging rod.

Often used on thick steel to chase down a crack so it can be welded to the full crack depth.

This pic show air arc gouging but yoiu can get gouging rods that dont need air.

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home