Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
12Bore

Could I use...

... veg oil to seal the wooden seats on a couple of outdoor chairs? I can't really justify buying a bottle of teak oil for such a small job, and don't really want to smother them with yacht varnish.
sean

No. It won't work and it'll go rancid I think. Our hardware store sells little bottles of teak oil and the like, doesn't yours?
Hairyloon

No. It won't work and it'll go rancid I think.

You start seeming very certain, then go less so.
Linseed oil is vegetable and is widely used on wood. Is lin very different from rape?
sean

Yep. It's more processed than food oils (boiled at least I think). If the OP's hardware store doesn't have little bottles of teak oil then I do know that almond oil doesn't go rancid, that might work. Chemists sell it in little bottles.
T.G

would olive oil work?
gz

When you use linseed oil, use boiled linseed oil for furniture.
Not sure what you'd use the raw stuff for
Treacodactyl

Raw linseed oil can be used for protecting wood, it just dries much slower IIRC.

I think that's the problem with using something like rape/sunflower veg oil, not that it goes rancid - unless you plan to eat off the chair - but that it doesn't dry. So, you'll end up sticking to the chair.
chicken feed

i use olive oil on my wooden work tops and the hard wood on the spa pool with no adverse effects.
naomij

I've found olive oil to be fine on all wooden things, chopping boards/plates/furniture/toys, though for furniture/toys usually melt some beeswax in and brush on hot so it absorbs well abs gives lovely colour. I think you can get boiled linseed in art shops but I keep forgetting.
Katieowl

Raw linseed oil can be used for protecting wood, it just dries much slower IIRC.

I think that's the problem with using something like rape/sunflower veg oil, not that it goes rancid - unless you plan to eat off the chair - but that it doesn't dry. So, you'll end up sticking to the chair.

Yeah most commercial stuff like danish oil and teak oil have 'driers' in so they ermm..dry Laughing

Prolly worth lashing out for a small bottle of proper stuff, as you have to re-do it from time to time..it's not a one off procedure.

Kate
12Bore

Well, I failed dismally, I went to the only independent hardware store left in Warrington (that I know of) and they hadn't any teak oil, so I'll have to try B&Q later. Sad Thanks anyway. Laughing Chez

Ikea? I know they do little tins of it for their worktops etc.

Also, what about asking on freecycle? Might be someone who has the end of a tin hidden somewhere.
12Bore

Hmmm. IKEA is about 10 mins away, and I usually avoid it like the plague. I have to pass it tomorrow, would it be a good day to try? Sould be a shortage of Daily Mail and Express readers at least! Laughing Chez

Go early. Do not pass go. Do not collect 100. Run away fast. Laughing

And check on the website that I am not making that up ...
12Bore

Can't see it on the website, might have a look in the little hardware shop in Oswaldtwistle when we go over to my mum's tomorrow (if they're open). Rusticwood

Re: Could I use...

... veg oil to seal the wooden seats on a couple of outdoor chairs? I can't really justify buying a bottle of teak oil for such a small job, and don't really want to smother them with yacht varnish.

No, Teak, Danish or Linseed for that. Olive oil can be used for chopping
boards etc which come into contact with food.
You should be able to get 500ml for about 3-4.
Hairyloon

Yeah most commercial stuff like danish oil and teak oil have 'driers' in so they ermm..dry Laughing
Might they be something as simple as turps or some other solvent to carry the oil into the wood then evaporate?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home