Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
chez

Could you lot sew Nenna some little draw-string bags?

Could any of you lot sew Nenna some pretty little washable draw-string bags?

Basically she's got one of these things hanging out of her tummy and we are supposed to stuff it in to her tights. Which is okay when she is *wearing* tights; and I don't think it's very sanitary to keep tucking it in to her nappy. I thought that if we had a supply of little drawstring bags to coil it up in to, it would prevent pulling and keep it nice and tidy Smile.

Nick

Clearly, I'm not about to offer sewing services, but I know others will. however, as an alternative, could she not do this?

joanne

Ignoring Nick! What sort of dimensions do you need?
Nick

Feh, you know Nenna would love those specs.
chez

I reckon about three inches square. Maybe three by four. Does that sound possible?

ETA: The lady I got the idea from uses the little bags that you put posh washing powder tablets in, in the washing machine.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Colour / fabric preferences? I presume something washable?
chez

Washable and cottony, I think. Nylon against her skin long-term is a bit 1970's Smile. Colours - she likes girly ones and bright ones!

Thank you!
Nick

Obviously.
jamanda

I think that would be perfect! How long do you want the drawstring Chez? Is it just to hold it closed?
chez

Possibly to fasten it to her clothing, too. I might end up sewing tags on to all her vests Rolling Eyes

ETA: I think she'd love that, Nick Smile
jamanda

Possibly to fasten it to her clothing, too. I might end up sewing tags on to all her vests Rolling Eyes

ETA: I think she'd love that, Nick Smile

A bit of velcro on the bags and on the vests might work.
chez

Yes, that might do it. Or even on the inside of her dresses. It's a bit like a slightly disobedient snake at the moment Smile
alice

Google 'wiggly bags tutorial'. I'll make some chez, pm me your address duck.
gythagirl

Methinks you'll have a lot of bags before long Chez, if I know anything about the generosity of the ds crowd... Smile
Sherbs

I have heaps of ready cut patchwork squares in some very pretty colours and patterns which would probably be an ideal size for this. Are you still coming to the farm at the end of September? If so I could make some bags and bring them with me then.
Nick

Obviously.

It's on ebay from the US, shipping eight bucks.
wellington womble

What about a pair of small magnets to hold them in place? Would save doing any sewing and mean you could attatch the bag to anything. In a jiffy. I expect they might get lost a bit though, but they are pennies from ebay. pollyanna

Wouldn't a cross-body tape be the easiest, attached to two corners; under her vest Sherbs

I have made two prototype drawstring bags out of patchwork squares. They are about 3.5 x 4 inches and have a double drawstring. I can easily make more as I have loads of patchwork squares in pretty colours and patterns. chez

Sherbs, yes we are - I believe we are responsible for beer collection Smile.

Thank you so much, everyone Embarassed
gardening-girl

I would,if I could make some.
But my sewing machine is in the menders Sad
Sally Too

I would,if I could make some.
But my sewing machine is in the menders Sad

Mine too
Cathryn

Have you decided on the best design Chez? Let me know what you want. Sherbs

I hope the ones I've been making are ok, I got a bit carried away, otherwise a lot of people are going to be getting lavender bags for Christmas Smile jamanda

I imagine if she gets a few slightly different they'll be able to decide which works best. chez

I have just googled for 'Wiggly Bags' as per Alice's instructions and come across this pattern, already loaded on downsizer: clicky for pdf.

I'm not sure about it round her neck; I am wondering about a whacking great safety pin. But as Mandy says, a few different designs will help me work out what works best. Googling for images gives lots of different styles.
Kariana

If you don't mind me asking Chez how long is the bit that sticks out? I'm just curious as I have a friend with a feeding tube into her stomach but hers doesn't seem nearly as long as the one in your picture so I was wondering how much was actually on the outside? madcat

I tried the clicky and got the message The image has expired from the myff gallery .

I would try make one but haven't a clue what to make either style or size.
chez

I tried the clicky and got the message The image has expired from the myff gallery .

I would try make one but haven't a clue what to make either style or size.

Blast, so it does! There's a tutorial I've found here - http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/wiggly-bags-tutorial-for-liberty-rose.html that looks quite good - is that any help?

Kariana, it's about ten inches. There are different styles of them, though - for example, a lot of people have what's called a 'button', which you have to fit a length of tube on to before you attach the syringe to do the bolus feed.
sean

Here you go

Click to download file
marigold

Lots of ideas on Etsy too http://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=Feeding+Tube&page=1 Sherbs

The ones I've been making are just basically two squares sewn together to make a bag with a double drawstring at the top. I imagined that you could then pin or otherwise attach the strings to the inside of a vest or to a belt or however you want to secure them. Kariana

Kariana, it's about ten inches. There are different styles of them, though - for example, a lot of people have what's called a 'button', which you have to fit a length of tube on to before you attach the syringe to do the bolus feed.

Oh it sounds the same length as my friends then. There must be a lot on the inside I guess. My friend has a machine though which she has to attach the tube to and the feed goes in that way. She still eats normal meals as well. On more than one occasion when her son was very little he grabbed the tube into her stomach and yanked hard! If only I'd heard about the idea of a bag for it back then, it might have helped her out. If I could sew I'd make one for Nenna but sadly I struggle to even put on a button! I'm sure loads of people here will be able to make her some lovely ones though.
chez

The ones I've been making are just basically two squares sewn together to make a bag with a double drawstring at the top. I imagined that you could then pin or otherwise attach the strings to the inside of a vest or to a belt or however you want to secure them.

They will be lovely, Sherbs, thank you so much. I'm just about to go and sort out some large safety pins!
chez

Lots of ideas on Etsy too http://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=Feeding+Tube&page=1

Those pretty round things are to button round the tube where it comes out of the tummy rather than a little bag to put it in. I spoke to the team about it and the general feeling seems to be that at the moment it's best to leave it as exposed as possible so it heals up properly - it's still weeping a little bit. I'm very tempted by them though, I can see her liking them!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home