Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
KnocknaveaghCobs

Count down to babies....I hope!

Well, tomorrow it will be 21 days since I put a dozen eggs under Pepper the hen, so fingers crossed for some chicks! Currently have no idea how many to expect as I gave up on my abortive candling attempts as I didn't want to disturb them too much and it was p***ing down with rain every time I went out in the dark to her broody box with my new and improved homemade candler. Confused

She's been so good at sitting, turning them really gently and carefully, kept a very tidy nest and is completely bald underneath from pulling all her feathers out for them, so I just hope she gets some babies now for all her efforts!
Woodburner

Aww bless! Fingers crossed for you (and her Wink ).
Went

You have some beautiful horses there at Knocknaveagh Cobs
KnocknaveaghCobs

You have some beautiful horses there at Knocknaveagh Cobs

Thank you Gawber! Very Happy We do love our hairy fatties! Been breeding a baby a year for about 15 years now and selling them on after a few years, but only set up the website last September when I was trying to cut down our youngstock numbers a bit, Dad's a very good photographer so has captured them all beautifully! Smile
KnocknaveaghCobs

....no sign of *any* babies..... Confused Sad ....out of 12 eggs.... Will leave em another day I guess, but not feeling very hopeful at this point. Anyone have any day old chicks they want fostered? Crying or Very sad
KnocknaveaghCobs

Babies - update!

I have a chick! Very Happy Very Happy Well, there was at least one under her when I left for work this morning but didn't want to disturb too much, hopefully will be some more later! Finally started hearing signs of life yesterday evening, wonder if they were a bit delayed due to the cold wet weather? I'm pleased she's got at least ony baby to raise anyway! Laughing
Woodburner

Good to hear! Very Happy I still had my fingers crossed and still have them crossed for the rest. It's unlikely she will get off the nest until all that are going to hatch have hatched, but it does happen sometimes, so don't be too hasty taking eggs away, even if they have gone cold. Wink
KnocknaveaghCobs

I've been amazed at how well she's been sitting - I moved her into the maternity ward (the greenhouse) two days ago and she hasn't left the nest at all to eat or drink - currently offering it by hand every evening so she gets enough in her! Embarassed Laughing
arvo

Re: Babies - update!

... wonder if they were a bit delayed due to the cold wet weather? ...

I think I remember Chez saying that she's found everything slower this year. And people have been getting really low results in hatches.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home