Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Nick

Couriers

Thought this might be useful. I'm having to ship a 4 ton tractor a couple of hundred miles, and had quotes of around 450.

A bit of Googling gave me these three sites. Current lowest bid is 225, plus 35 in fees. Couriers bid on your load and the price plummets.

www.Shiply.com
www.uship.com
www.anyvan.com

Not as cheap as DS courier, for sure, but seems a good idea. I know Shiply's been mentioned before, but I thought I'd add the others.
Mustang

I tried shiply once, but got no responses. Maybe my item was too small to bother with?

The issue I have right now with a package I have to ship is one of insurance. I can get cheap postage deals, but they don't insure it (or only at a very basic level). Put insurance on (value is 600) and the price goes ballistic. Sad
Nick

Have you tried the Post office?

I'm shipping something with a value of 2,000, and they only want 8 extra.

Rob R

I tried shiply once, someone wanted 35 to ship a box of meat Shocked
Chez

I've tried shipley a few times - mostly for my solid-fuel-appliance habit. The first few quotes you get tend to be trying it on - then it gets more realistic.
Nick

Indeed. Given that it was Christmas, I think I got a range of small businesses competing. I ended up with 250, via uShip, with no fees. Guy seems genuine, and he gets paid when he turns up with my tractor, so my risk is minimal.
Mustang

Unfortunately, it's 14.7kg, so RM will only insure it to 500.
camaro

Shiply is great for cars - I just had a Jeep Grand Cherokee delivered from Plymouth to Belfast for 400.
That included the guy driving it 600 miles (at 17mpg, 4 litre petrol engine), paying for 2 full tanks of fuel (120 each), paying for the Holyhead Ferry, then driving it up from Dublin and dropping it at my house in time for me to go to work in it.
All he asked was that I drop him at the nearest airport once he'd delivered it - that's 15 minutes away. Then he paid his own flight back.
I couldn't have done it myself for that price!

Edit - first quote was "750, you pay for fuel and any accomodation/food costs"!
dpack

is he driving the tractor to you ?
Hairyloon

Guy seems genuine, and he gets paid when he turns up with my tractor, so my risk is minimal.

Who's is the risk if the tractor disappears to Ireland?
Hairyloon

is he driving the tractor to you ?

I expect it'd be a more comfortable drive than my old fergy from the far side of Anglesey...
Nick

Guy seems genuine, and he gets paid when he turns up with my tractor, so my risk is minimal.
Who's is the risk if the tractor disappears to Ireland?

Mine, but I know where he works, and his details. He's just a regular courier. Same risk as normal I guess.
Rob R

I've tried shipley a few times - mostly for my solid-fuel-appliance habit. The first few quotes you get tend to be trying it on - then it gets more realistic.

Unfortunately I only got the one quote. Confused
Shan

I can't remember who we used but it was about 220 for the tractor, the flat 8 and the bucket and the tractor has a loader on it to be transported from Oxford to us. Nick

And I have a tractor, with front loader! Smile

Tractor
Chez

Oooh, get you! Smile Shan

And I have a tractor, with front loader! Smile

Tractor

I don't know what we would do without our front loader! We bought a set of pallet forks for it and they are so useful!

PS I hope that you don't kiss your tractor goodnight - I think Mr Shan would if I allowed him.
Nick

It's currently on the drive with a kingsize duvet over it, if that helps? Shan

Hmmm... and I am guessing that within a few months you will be lovingly building a pole barn to shelter it.... Nick

Close, but no cigar. The new garage/barn is being built big enough to house it. Shan

This all sounds horribly familiar! Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home