Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Behemoth

Cows, Badgers and TB

Latest report:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/ministers/statements/dm070618.htm
Beckyess

So it says basically what the wildlife people have said for years, that the culling of badgers increases TB incidence in cattle and that it's cattle to cattle transmission that needs to be tackled.
Still the farmers have said they intend to take the government to court if they don't agree with a badger cull but in reality the only way to remove the risk would be to eradicate badgers, or alternatively catch and test all badgers and cull those that carry the disase meaning a disease free population of badgers but as TB can travel between species it wont remain TB free for long!
Becky
Northern_Lad

Drat: I was hoping for a scandal before he left office, but it turns out the thread's about illness. Rolling Eyes
judith

For some reason, I read that as "Bodgers"!
cab

Beckyess wrote:
So it says basically what the wildlife people have said for years, that the culling of badgers increases TB incidence in cattle and that it's cattle to cattle transmission that needs to be tackled.

No. It doesn't quite say that.

Culling badgers randomly didn't really help.

Doing nothing didn't help.

Culling badgers where the disease is present worked, in the immediate area. Wasn't perfect, and the big down side is that the badgers then travel about more, spreading the disease outside of the area you're culling. So the net effect of a localised cull is negligible on the total incidence of the disease, even though it does work locally.

Quote:
Still the farmers have said they intend to take the government to court if they don't agree with a badger cull but in reality the only way to remove the risk would be to eradicate badgers, or alternatively catch and test all badgers and cull those that carry the disase meaning a disease free population of badgers but as TB can travel between species it wont remain TB free for long!
Becky

How widespread has the badger cull been in Ireland?
Rob R

The BBC make it sound oh so simple...

BBC wrote:
Farmers say the spread of cattle TB by badgers is destroying the industry and that culling would control it.

But independent government advisers said culling would have to be so extensive it would be uneconomical.

Conservationists suggest tighter restrictions on cattle movements could help control the disease's spread.

Excuse me while I just get back in my little box Twisted Evil
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home