Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Hairyloon

Crayfish ID

Apparently crayfish are roaming the streets somewhere relatively local.
I've not seen them myself, but can anyone give a confident ID?

dpack

if that is a blue and white patch on the top of the claw ( a bit hard to tell as it is a bit shiney and under the claws is red (the decider is red under the claws but tis the wrong way up to see )

imho tis a yankee signal crayfish ie non native invader .call ukip or the EA

they are quite tasty but you are supposed to have a licence to catch em which helps avoid mistakes with the rare and endangered local ones ,iirc tis about 50 which is a bargain if there are quite a few .
Hairyloon

they are quite tasty but you are supposed to have a licence to catch em...

Last I checked, you needed a licence to trap them. Catching them by other means is fine.

In any case, I can't imagine you could get trouble for picking them off your lawn...
"Oim sorry yer honour, Oi thought 'e were a woodlouse..." Wink
Mistress Rose

It would be a pretty blind judge who would belive that. You need to find a better match. Very Happy
Pilsbury

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could get away with saying you thought they were lobsters and you had no idea that lobsters livedin tthe sea, most kids round here think milk comes from supermarkets.....
Hairyloon

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could get away with saying you thought they were lobsters and you had no idea that lobsters livedin tthe sea, most kids round here think milk comes from supermarkets.....

I think it a fairly good defence to think they are no kind of fish, if you find them on the lawn or in the woods.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

What colour are the claw undersides?

There is a suspect line-up here https://www.buglife.org.uk/sites/default/files/Invasive%20crayfish%20species%20-%20Profiles_0.pdf

and here

http://www.boxvalley.co.uk/nature/fiss/General/crayfish.asp

I reckon you have a dirty forriner there Wink
Hairyloon

They're across town and I've not seen them, but the general consensus is that they are the signal crayfish.

The question now is what to do: whether to just grab a few for the pot, or whether it worth a more concerted effort to round them up.

Lady is going to ring the EA on the morrow.
dpack

a few is barely a snack,they do freeze well .just make sure the bucket has a solid lid or pop em in a sack to avoid them hiding behind the peas before they chill ,quieten and expire gently. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home