Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
pip22

creosote substitute

Hi all, Do you know if creosote substitutes are safe for using near the veg patch? I have a product which smells like creosote but am pretty sure it's a substitute as don't think creosote is available anymore (name is Targobois in France). Thanks, Pip
dpack

if it preserves timber it probably kills veg is a general rule i follow
vegplot

If it smells like creosote then it probably is. Not sure about France but creosote is available in the UK.
mousjoos

There are lots of things here for treating/preserving wood...I would think most if not all are / could be lethal to veg etc
pip22

thanks for your replies. it's for the footing around a polytunnel we're making so that the boards don't rot each year, so maybe we can insulate the boards from the inside earth; the plastic sheet comes down over the hoops and the footing boards and then is buried going outwards so we could staple plastic around the timber to insulate from the soil inside.

Next thing will be how to protect (or not) wood for around some raised beds (hardwood's out of our price range)
vegplot

Have a look at boron or borax based products for wood preservation.
mousjoos

thanks for your replies. it's for the footing around a polytunnel we're making so that the boards don't rot each year, so maybe we can insulate the boards from the inside earth; the plastic sheet comes down over the hoops and the footing boards and then is buried going outwards so we could staple plastic around the timber to insulate from the soil inside.

Next thing will be how to protect (or not) wood for around some raised beds (hardwood's out of our price range)

Sleepers are still sought after for raised beds, but be careful as they can still contain very noxious stuff; & there has been talk of them being banned...though how far on this is, I've no idea, but they are now no longer allowed to be stored outside because of said noxious stuff leaking into the ground
pip22

thanks both; i'll have a look to see what I can find Smile
gregotyn

Most sleepers are steeped in creosote, as are 1 or 2 of my old containers and they grew veg., but I lined them with polythene. There is an organic preservative I just can't remember where the name is written down, worth a google perhaps?
pip22

thanks gregotyn; so hopefully the plastic covered polytunnel footers will be ok. we may just use untreated boards for raised beds and replace when they rot
Mistress Rose

Try something like oak, sweet chestnut or western red cedar for the raised beds. Even oak will rot eventually, but the heart wood is good for a long time. I think ours as sapwood in it because we didn't understand properly when we bought it, and let them get away with sapwood as well as heartwood. Thinking about it, we bought the timber a long time ago, so suppose it hasn't done too badly.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home