Wipe the seat when you're done...
Rob R

You wanna go where on a tractor?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Birmingham perhaps?

Laughing

Click me
Mistress Rose

Find an agricultural show or an open farm event and sit in the tractor. They won't let you drive it anywhere, but you get to play with the horn and the lights like a little boy. Remember to turn the lights off when you have finished playing. Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

Round a field. I want to play with the levers and pedals Very Happy

Birmingham perhaps?

On a related note, I've seen tractors on dual carriageways loads of times - notably the A50 between Derby and Stoke. The speed differential always struck me as a bit unsafe....
A.
Nick

Wait until you realise that tractors can be driven by 16 year olds. I don't know if there are limits on the size, but I guess, historically, it was so boy could help dad out, and tractors were small and slow. They're now 200,000, 40mph HGVesque. onemanband

Round a field. I want to play with the levers and pedals Very Happy

A.

tractor experience day
earthyvirgo

I've driven 2 clapped out tractors, gears? what gears I think there were some, not sure I found them tho'.

It was fun.

EV
Nell Merionwen

Rolling Eyes Mistress Rose

The new ones are quite fast. We have a little one that does 12mph, but the only time we ever took that on a major road we had the van behind with flashers going as well as the orange flashing light on the tractor. The others are a bit faster, but we try to avoid taking them on the road if we can, and only use minor ones. The main problem there is idiots doing 60mph on roads where 20-30 is safer. Barefoot Andrew

tractor experience day

Ooh, and there are hovercrafts to play with too Very Happy

Rolling Eyes

Embarassed
A.
Rob R

The main problem there is idiots doing 60mph on roads where 20-30 is safer.

I once encountered such an idiot coming round a bend, he applied the brakes when he saw me, but still had to swerve. With the trailer and loader it was about 65ft in length, and he came to rest somewhere near the back wheels...
Tavascarow

Wait until you realise that tractors can be driven by 16 year olds. I don't know if there are limits on the size, but I guess, historically, it was so boy could help dad out, and tractors were small and slow. They're now 200,000, 40mph HGVesque.
When I was sixteen you could drive a tractor on the road on a provisional licence with L plates but not tow any wheeled implements.
I always thought that was a bit stupid. A trailer is much more predictable than a mower or haybob swinging from side to side on the rear arms.
Not sure what the law is now.
Rob R

Wait until you realise that tractors can be driven by 16 year olds. I don't know if there are limits on the size, but I guess, historically, it was so boy could help dad out, and tractors were small and slow. They're now 200,000, 40mph HGVesque.
When I was sixteen you could drive a tractor on the road on a provisional licence with L plates but not tow any wheeled implements.
I always thought that was a bit stupid. A trailer is much more predictable than a mower or haybob swinging from side to side on the rear arms.
Not sure what the law is now.

The law has changed a bit, you can only drive with L plates on the road to travel to, from and while taking your test & just the tractor, no attachments, until you've passed. You should, by rights, use check chains and/or the blocks to keep it safe in transport on the road though, no matter how old you are.

The daft thing with the law as I see is that you can drive a huge trailer on the road at 16 (once passed your test) but then have to go on to take an extra test to tow a trailer on the car. At the same time someone with grandfather rights can hitch up to a trailer without having any idea how to use it & just set off.
onemanband

Re: Crucial 2014 farming issue

I want a go on a tractor.
A.

Is it because of the onesie you'll get to wear ?

Cathryn

There will be serious trouble if that was the price of ours. Smile

It wasn't, I checked. Wasn't cheap either and honestly what's it got to do, take a bale or two of silage out to sheep every few days. (Big boys toys Wink)

It really isn't all it's cracked up to be BA. I can drive them (under duress and that shed is much more accessible now. It was just a small nudge.)
Mistress Rose

We are in that situation. Son was driving forwarders from college loaded with timber, so a good number of tons, before he passed his test. He is our main forwarder driver, but can't drive a small pick up truck with an 8'x4' trailer on the back. I am licenced to drive truck and trailer, but am incapable of doing delicate things like reversing, so at that point son takes over and I 'supervise'. Ridiculous isn't it.

We had a young lad drive down the lane next to our woods at about 50mph. Unfortunately he met someone coming the other way, and it is a single lane road that tends to have quite a lot of gravel on it from wash down. Result was inevitable. Husband and son came across two collided cars, in spite of the other one having stopped before the crash. Son gave young driver benefit of his knowledge fairly frankly, and I think the police were called so they either had him for driving without due care, or gave him an even bigger earful. Young driver found our you drive according to conditions, not speed limit.
Rob R

We are in that situation. Son was driving forwarders from college loaded with timber, so a good number of tons, before he passed his test. He is our main forwarder driver, but can't drive a small pick up truck with an 8'x4' trailer on the back. I am licenced to drive truck and trailer, but am incapable of doing delicate things like reversing, so at that point son takes over and I 'supervise'. Ridiculous isn't it.

I know so many people in exactly that position. I'm not sure what the change in law has actually achieved. If you're able to tow you can do it safely on the road and if you're not then you're unlikely to take a trailer on the road, but if you would do it regardless it's unlikely that not having that bit of paper would stop you.
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing

It really isn't all it's cracked up to be BA.

You've ruined the romance for me now Wink
A.
Rob R

Laughing

A.

There'll be plenty of people round you looking for a lad to do the summer harvest work - you'll be sick of it by October (or permanently changing career).
gardening-girl

Alex`s first word was tractor,because everytime he saw daddy he was driving one. Cathryn

A.

I have been contradicted, it is apparently more than it's cracked up to be. It still seems to involve very, very, very long conversations about liquid gears. Boys toys, I tell you.
Cathryn

Nevertheless, if you are passing... The onesie is compulsory and I must buy one for Jack. Shocked sean

Can't remember if you and Jack saw this lot. Seems appropriate for this thread though.

Barefoot Andrew

Funky.

The onesie is compulsory and I must buy one for Jack. Shocked

A new tractor, or a Farming Onesie? Very Happy
A.
Cathryn

Laughing We didn't Sean

A onesie BA. Can you imagine Jack in one?!! Terrifying. Laughing Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

Photos will be required Wink
A.
Mistress Rose

Son managed combinearvister at aged 21/2 as we could see one working on the hill across the valley from our house. He called tractor Tacto, so our little tractor is called Tacto now.

BA, I sometimes worry about you. Wanting to drive a tractor and wear a onsie like a little boy? Laughing Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

And I want to play model trains. I'm in touch with my inner child Very Happy
A.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

And I want to play model trains. I'm in touch with my inner child Very Happy
A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXOdL7YJRNs
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing Laughing
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1