Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
cab

Curing squirrel skins?

Suppose you were about to receive a brace of squirrels, and suppose you knew someone who would probably appreciate a Davy Crocket hat for Christmas... How would you go about curing squiggle skins? Whats my best bet here?
sally_in_wales

Personally I would alum taw them then oil dress them. Not for heavy wet weather wear. but in my opinion its the least painful way to deal with them, and it will hold for month until you are ready to deal with them. We have Priceys bunny skins in a tupperware of alum and salt brine as we speak, waiting for me to get round to dealing with them
cab

Alum and salt brine... Gotcha... As a skin curing virgin, wheres a good place to pick up a recipe?
sally_in_wales

There is a thread that never quite made it to an article somewhere, but vaguely 100g alum to 1kg salt to 1 gallon of water off the top of my head (that might wildly contradict earlier posts, I make it up as I go along by the handful usually, but that vague proportion of salts sounds right and go for a heavy solution, don't stress about the exact amounts). Scrape the skin of obvious ick, pickle until you get round to it, scrape off any vell and preserved ick, stretch and oil.
sally_in_wales

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=3498&highlight=tanning
cab

Excellent, thanks Sally!
dpack

salt and tannin(oak galls or bark or strong tea ) is pretty good
mochyn

OK I'll be sending the old chap out after squirrels at the weekend!

dpac: so I don't need to be puting dog poo in the mix, then?
dpack

"best" ie very bone chip filled doggy doos was used for gloves
not my idea of nice .
mochyn

dpack wrote:
"best" ie very bone chip filled doggy doos was used for gloves
not my idea of nice .

Definitely. I remember being told all about the tanning process in the caves in Nottingham.

Yuck.

In spades.
Blacksmith

Use the brains, works for deer.... apparently
squirrel01

not a very nice pastime is it.... Mad
dpack

not nice but practicle
cab

squirrel01 wrote:
not a very nice pastime is it.... Mad

I dudn't put the skin on to cure in the end, turns out not to be as soft and nice as it looks. But the squiggles were ever so tasty.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home