Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Bodger

Curry. Possibly not for the purist.

Possibly not one for the purist but does anyone fancy trying this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-30718727

A pretty interesting slant on what our Victorian ancestors thought a curry should be.
sean

No sultanas?
Bodger

They were only for the very very rich.
sean

Banana used to turn up in curry when I was a kid too. Bet that would have been very posh in Victorian times.
Bodger

We bung bananas in a lot of our curries. Very Happy
Nicky Colour it green

was just reading this article - interesting.

the recipe seems more akin to a chutney with added meat

interesting to read the ebb of flow of the popularity of a curry, a long relationship.

I'd love to know when these recipes would reach working class folk - I wonder if there is a standard formula to use, say 20 years after appearing in mrs Beeton or something.
Nick

was just reading this article - interesting.

the recipe seems more akin to a chutney with added meat

interesting to read the ebb of flow of the popularity of a curry, a long relationship.

I'd love to know when these recipes would reach working class folk - I wonder if there is a standard formula to use, say 20 years after appearing in mrs Beeton or something.

Down to the cost of the spices, I'd guess. What made them cheap? Owning India? Steam ships? Suez Canal? First immigrants? Airlines? Something will have made it worth bringing a shed load over. A Branson type will have sold them in London, or Leeds, or somewhere to make them fashionable. Bet there's a hundred fascinating stories linked to a recipe like this.
Nick

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8370054.stm

War, Royalty, iillegal mmigrants, Empire, slavery, Tories. They're not just there for the bad things in life; they helped bring us lamb bhuna.
dpack

iirc viccy the german had an interest in curry and in at least one industrial spice selling company

this is even earlier
dpack

the east india company were deeply involved in the spice trade as well as various other less charming activities and as a commercial branch of the state but owned by it's elites rather than being a government or crown enterprise it should get a mention in the context of "curry"
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home