Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Nick

Cutting bricks

I've a lot of bricks to cut, ideally at the same angle. If it was wood, I have a table saw or a chop saw. If it was at 90 degrees, I can find a brick cutter, but does a cutter for a constant angle cut in bricks exist? I can't find one.

Best option appears to be an angle grinder, which is fine, but difficult to use repeatedly.

Bricks are about 8 inches square and two inches thick.
stumbling goat

Would it be possible to fit a diamond disc to a pull/chop saw, providing the diameter and bore are the same?

You may have to adjust the power that you use to push down when making the cut?

JAT

sg
Nick

Possible, yes. I have no idea if it's safe or not, tho. Wouldn't want to get hurt, nor damage my saw, really.
Ty Gwyn

Why not just make a simple saw box and use the grinder.
Hairyloon

Possible, yes. I have no idea if it's safe or not, tho. Wouldn't want to get hurt, nor damage my saw, really.

What RPM does the saw run at compared to what the disc is supposed to be used at?
I'd expect the saw to be slower and I can't see that being a problem in itself...
Treacodactyl

You can get angle grinder stands, but the ones I can find seem to be for metal - worth a more thorough search.

I just used an angle grinder with a diamond disk freehand, mark with a thick pencil and cut a shallow slot on the first pass and then cut deeper.
Nick

You can get angle grinder stands, but the ones I can find seem to be for metal - worth a more thorough search.

I just used an angle grinder with a diamond disk freehand, mark with a thick pencil and cut a shallow slot on the first pass and then cut deeper.

I couldn't find an angle grinder stand for a large grinder, only a small one, and that suggests the cut wouldn't be enough.

A jig is an answer, Ty, but, I'm needing to change the angles, so would need various jigs. A saw I could tip and cut would be simple. I can't believe I'm the first person to do this, so assume I could hire something.
Behemoth

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KVQ90MquI
onemanband

clipper saw is what you are looking for.
Most hire shops should have one.

You could try using a wet tile saw, but standard tile saw doesn't give depth of cut and because it means using the entire blade depth, it tends to bind and stop the motor.

How confident are you with a 9" grinder ? - that's what most bricks are cut with on site. I've previously tried wooden templates for multiple cuts but as bricks are never dead straight I find doing it by eye is best. Top tip - don't try holding brick with your heel on floor and brick under toes - put another brick on floor under your heel, then have the brick you are cutting under your toes - i.e so your foot is flat on the brick you are cutting.
Nick

Thanks. I'm very happy with my big angle grinder, just not confident that every angle will be the same. Smile

Clipper saw is the answer, thanks. I shall hire one, if I can, I think.
onemanband

If you hire it will probably be like the ones at bottom of link page.
If it hasn't got an adjustable guide it won't be hard to clamp something to the sliding table.
You may want to wear waterproofs when operating.
stumbling goat

A 9 inch hand held grinder will run at the same speed regardless of whether you use a masonry or a metal disc.

sg
Nick

If you hire it will probably be like the ones at bottom of link page.
If it hasn't got an adjustable guide it won't be hard to clamp something to the sliding table.
You may want to wear waterproofs when operating.

Thanks. Jewson seem to offer a range. Now I know they exist, I can hunt about.
Nick

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KVQ90MquI

That may also be an answer. Cheers.
onemanband

Another answer might be to search 'brick cutting service' and get someone else to do it. dpack

rather than hold the brick by boot a simple means of gripping such as a workmate with pegs is much safer

i prefer 12"petrol disc cutter with a stone type diamond disc to 9" leccy for brick or block cutting

low tech is a hammer and good sharp bolster to mark the cut all round with light taps and a solid blow mid line on one face to split the brick.with a bit of practice that can be quite quick and accurate
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home