Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
tahir

Damage to hedges/trespass

How the flip do we stop people treating our place like a park? Apart from the fact that it's not nice to have people trespassing on your land we've had trees and fruit nicked in the past. Our 4 year old hedge which has been maturing nicely has just had some big gaps chopped in it by a nice local, barbed wire up wouldn't be any greater deterrent than rosa rugosa/hawthorn etc, not hard to cut a strand of barbed.
Nick

Electric strand?

Doesn't have to be on, I guess. A strand of wire, with a sign on it would deter many people from 'random' trespass. I grant you it might not stop a tree thief, but that's a different matter.
tahir

Dunno, but it's proper peeing me off.
Nick

Ditches?
tahir

Richard suggested ploughing alongside
dpack

bad tempered sheep ?
tahir

Livestock don't mix with young trees
dpack

ahh

hornets and wasps
Jo S

Crocodiles?
tahir

ahh

hornets and wasps

Smile
tahir

Crocodiles?

Smile Smile
dpack

wasps are ace allies and less bother in paperwork than reptiles windyridge

wasps are ace allies and less bother in paperwork than reptiles

They eat the fruit though Sad
tahir

Everything eats the blinking fruit Laughing
tahir

Everything eats the blinking fruit Laughing

Except maybe the crocs?
Treacodactyl

Re: Damage to hedges/trespass

How the flip do we stop people treating our place like a park? Apart from the fact that it's not nice to have people trespassing on your land we've had trees and fruit nicked in the past. Our 4 year old hedge which has been maturing nicely has just had some big gaps chopped in it by a nice local, barbed wire up wouldn't be any greater deterrent than rosa rugosa/hawthorn etc, not hard to cut a strand of barbed.

Perhaps now's not the time to question the legality of planting rosa rugosa? Wink

Did you speak to someone like the CLA about your problems, as they will be common to many land owners. Sadly I've started to see coils of razor wire used to keep people out although that possibly for safety reasons. Shocked

If you were somewhere like Devon then I'd suggest a nice hedgebank, a two foot ditch and two foot bank topped with a hedge makes a decent boundary.
tahir

Perhaps now's not the time to question the legality of planting rosa rugosa? Wink

Really? I discussed species choice on here and with several agencies I was talking to at the time (DEFRA was one can't remember the others but I spoke to all sorts with the initial round of planting)
Treacodactyl

Really? I discussed species choice on here and with several agencies I was talking to at the time (DEFRA was one can't remember the others but I spoke to all sorts with the initial round of planting)

I've been meaning to start a thread on it. The changes came in after you planted so I don't think you need to worry. Apparently under Section 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act since 2010 it's been an offence to plant or "otherwise cause to grow" in the wild over 50 invasive non-natives. Rosa Rugosa is one of the 50. I also don't know what is classed as wild, I think farmland for example would be classed as wild but don't know.
john of wessex

Do you know or suspect who damaged the hedge?

The boys in blue or threat of the small claims court may bring them into line.
marigold

Site some beehives near the hedge? Cathryn

What about a notice to say that the trees have been sprayed with something nasty? You will have to vary the deterrents you use won't you.

How depressing. Sad
Tavascarow

What about a notice to say that the trees have been sprayed with something nasty? You will have to vary the deterrents you use won't you.

How depressing. Sad
The orchard at the Eden project put up such a sign last year at harvest time.
Funny because you wouldn't spray fruit at harvest & they are organic anyway, but I'm sure it deterred some.
After a spate of petty theft here over the last few months I'm beginning to think the only answer is a big nasty dog which is a shame.
Truffle

Rheas Very Happy Chez

Rheas Very Happy

Ooooh YEAH, baby!

I'd probably go for a 'beware of the bull' sign, or similar.
tahir

Do you know or suspect who damaged the hedge?

No idea.
tahir

How depressing. Sad

We really don't want to go down any "nasty" route, we live here and we do like people, and we run enough events on our land for peple to know that. Like you say it's just depressing I guess.

Apart from losing trees losing all of last years apple crop was kind of gutting really. Don't know what kind of scum would do that, or indeed what would deter them.
buzzy

Rheas Very Happy

Ooooh YEAH, baby!

I'd probably go for a 'beware of the bull' sign, or similar.

"Please do not play with the Adders" might help. as well.

Henry
yummersetter

Nettles, wild roses, holly, blackthorn and brambles - that's a traditional tyke-resistant hedge here. gil

Another vote for wild roses (dogrose/canina, not rugosa) + brambles + hawthorn + blackthorn = the thorns on each of these grow in different ways >>>>> maximum spikage.

It makes for interesting bramble picking / foraging locally.

Barberry is pretty nasty too.
12Bore

Blackthorn? (thinking gin) Lorrainelovesplants

mantraps Laughing Behemoth

Isn't there plenty of 'security' in essex? tahir

Blackthorn? (thinking gin)

I guess we could stick a bit of that in to supplement what's already in there (includes 4 species of rose, holly, hawthorn)
Midland Spinner

Warning these fields are covered with Taraxacum. Anyone loitering in them without protective clothing will be exposed to radiation. Keep Out.
tahir

Laughing Barefoot Andrew

You need one of these Wink
A.
tahir

That would be fun Treacodactyl

Did the person cut holes in the hedge just to gain access to the rest of the field? If so do you have any idea who it might be and would it be worth talking to them? tahir

Did the person cut holes in the hedge just to gain access to the rest of the field? If so do you have any idea who it might be and would it be worth talking to them?

No idea, no, and probably not (although we talk to anyone that we see veering off the footpath)
Ecocentric

Isn't there plenty of 'security' in essex?
Evidently supply falls short of demand.. Confused

Midland Spinner wrote:
Anyone loitering in them without protective clothing will be exposed to radiation. Keep Out.

Given the apparent faillure of containment at Fukushima that may not be that far from the truth... Rolling Eyes
Nick

Wouldn't just a single strand of wire make life harder? tahir

Wouldn't just a single strand of wire make life harder?

Electric? Normal barbed wouldn't some of the stuff that's been cut has a diameter of 1.5" so it ain't just secateurs
Nick

You need one of these Wink
A.

One of the very worst/best lines I heard came from a German colleague in the bar after a conference.

'I lost an great uncle in Auschwitz.'

Clearly, a respectful hush fell around the table.

'Ya, he fell off his watch tower.'

I'm still not sure if that's one of the worst or best jokes ever, or if he was telling the truth; he was so straight-faced as he told us.
Nick

Wouldn't just a single strand of wire make life harder?

Electric? Normal barbed wouldn't some of the stuff that's been cut has a diameter of 1.5" so it ain't just secateurs

Maybe. Or just hang Electric fence signs on it. Doesn't have to be on.
tahir

Or just hang Electric fence signs on it. Doesn't have to be on.

As someone who's been inadvertently stung by his own electric fences plenty of times, it's not going to deter the kind of person that is walking around with either a serious set of loppers or a pruning saw, if they're that desperate to break through the hedge they will do, until it becomes impenetrable.
Nick

That's true. Sorry, I misunderstood. I had envisaged people sort of pushing through, assuming it wasn't an issue, rather than 'professional' trespassers going tooled up.

As I believe you Essex boys have it.
Bodger

I note that nobody has mentioned what is perhaps the best natural barrier and thats a hedge planted with gorse. Nothing pushes their way through a gorse hedge. alison

...and gorse is a good stop gap for bees too. Treacodactyl

...and gorse is a good stop gap for bees too.

...and it's a nitrogen fixer.

However, if the gorse I've got is anything to go by it'll take a few years to become a good hedge, the first few years growth is very soft and I have no problem walking through it in jeans.
Midland Spinner

Isn't there plenty of 'security' in essex?
Evidently supply falls short of demand.. Confused

Midland Spinner wrote:
Anyone loitering in them without protective clothing will be exposed to radiation. Keep Out.

Given the apparent faillure of containment at Fukushima that may not be that far from the truth... Rolling Eyes

Well it is the truth - sunshine is radiation!

But Taraxacum isn't dangerous - although I did once see my neighbour creeping round to the front of my garden with a sprayer to kill mine when he thought I wasn't looking. I like dandelions - they bring goldfinches! So I was a bit cross.
tahir

Hmm, gorse. dpack

gorse is special spikey,and the flowers are tasty dpack

giant hogweed likes clearings in hedges ,im not sure i would notice and eradicate it should it take advantage of a space ,bit naughty but so would be a subtle planting of poison ivy

there are some fast growing exotics that need chainmail and kevlar to push through

broad is better than high as a barrier

i still recon insect helpers might be elegant
Truffle

I may have missed this, but why on earth would anyone hack into a 4yr old hedge? the only thing i can think of is for firewood, but surely its too young for that?
truffle
tahir

Just because they like to walk their dogs in the field, plus of course occasionally nick trees and fruit. BadgerFace

A flock of patrolling, mouthy geese ? Truffle

Just because they like to walk their dogs in the field, plus of course occasionally nick trees and fruit.
So they're nicking whole plants to plant elsewhere? bonkers...
in that case, you could have a sign such a 'phytophthora remediation zone- it is an offence to remove plants (carriers) etc...'
tahir

A flock of patrolling, mouthy geese ?

We're both scared sh*tless of geese
tahir

So they're nicking whole plants to plant elsewhere? bonkers...

Yeah

Quote:
in that case, you could have a sign such a 'phytophthora remediation zone- it is an offence to remove plants (carriers) etc...'

I don't think anything other than a physical barrier will stop em. Guess we just have to wait for the hedge to thicken up.
Nick

How long is the vulnerable area? tahir

400-500 mtrs along one footpath, 250ish on the other Nick

CCTV an option? tahir

CCTV an option?

That'd mean sitting down and looking through hours of footage
Nick

It'd mean you had a deterrent. I'm thinking of stopping them, rather than catching them. Pole, camera, signs. tahir

Yeah, wonder how legal it'd be? Nick

I offered to put some up to deter fly tippers on the lane outside our house, and Parish Council didn't see a problem with it. Not saying that makes it legal, but... tahir

fly tippers on the lane outside our house

Really? Blinking scum
Nick

Yep, drove his van (very lightly) into me, as well. Later, he assaulted two police officers, but they let him go with a caution. I still have the pictures of him tipping, but they 'don't have enough to charge him'. And because he's a pikey, they can't track him down.

Police? Council? Waste of space.
tahir

Police? Council? Waste of space.

Yup
Treacodactyl

CCTV an option?

That'd mean sitting down and looking through hours of footage

You can get things that have a PIR trigger for the video; often used to capture wildlife etc but I've known people use them to capture crime.

I'm seriously considering one to identify all the animals we get on our woodland although I do slightly worry it'll get pinched. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Wouldn't cover much of the hedge though and even if you do trace who it is I doubt anything would happen.
Nick

Yeah, Maplin had a solar powered, movement sensitive one that I looked at for around 65.

I'm not thinking of catching people, so much as deterring them, in Tahir's case.
wellington womble

Bloody great big slavering bull. With horns. Or wasn't somebody saying they'd lost a snake?

Seriously, though what complete a@&!holes. Tresspassers and flytippers flytippers especially - how hard is it to drive to the dump, for heavens sake!
toggle

any horned bovine will do. i've seen people running scared from quite a small highland cow before now cause they thought she was a bull

she did have the biggest rack i've ever seen on a highland though.
Behemoth

Isn't Essex awash with tattooed heavies? Pilsbury

how about a couple of signs mentioning that you are currently having pest control issues so there will be people in the field and hedges with firearms, not exactly a lie if Mr philpots is still coming over occasjonaly and might just put off some people in the mornings and evenings when rabbits are out and about..... buzzy

any horned bovine will do. i've seen people running scared from quite a small highland cow before now cause they thought she was a bull

she did have the biggest rack i've ever seen on a highland though.

Visions of DSers saying "Hey, look at the rack on her!"
Surprised

Henry
Ecocentric

Isn't Essex awash with tattooed heavies?
And cows with big racks.. Wink
Nick

Isn't Essex awash with tattooed heavies?
And cows with big racks.. Wink

From anyone else, I would have thought large udders. But with Toggle, probably not.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home