Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Bodger

Damnation !

As we know, its not just the big boys like HMV and Focus that have gone down the pan. Thousands of small businesses ahve also gone to the wall and for sometime now, I've been hearing rumours that one of my local pub/restaurants have also been in financial dificulty. Well unfortunately,my worst fears were confirmed last night. I was out taking part in a pub quiz in a different pub and the landlord let me know that the pub in question was going into, or is in liquidation.
This is the same pub that bought around eight hundred pounds worth of cider off me last summer. In addition, they still buy two trays of duck eggs from me every week. I'm feeling sorry for them and sorry for myself too.
I'm going to have to rethink some of my cider sales strategy for this coming season and I certainly wont be increasing my duck numbers any time soon. Crying or Very sad

Thats a large percentage of my fledgling businesses customer base gone. They've been very supportive of my new business venture.
Went

Sorry to hear this Bodger - Let's hope new doors open soon.
graysalchemy

Sorry too hear that Bodger. the Leisure Industry used to account for 50% of my turnover and the majority of that went last year so I feel your pain.

I have had to diversify into other sectors of my industry but this will take time.

Good luck. Smile
Barefoot Andrew

Duff news for everyone Sad
A.
Bodger

I've just been down to see them and rumours of their demise are much exagerated. They have wound a business up but people have put two and two together and come up with five. The business concerned isn't connected to the pub, so hopefully things will be OK.
vegplot

That's a bit of a relief. Everyone I speak to in business is having a hard time. Our revenues were cut by nearly 70% when the public sector stopped spending 3 years ago. Adapt and survive.

Just don't put all your duck eggs into one basket.
Nick

Make sure to keep yourself out of the firing line, and get paid up front, or at least limit your credit. I know this is difficult, especially with small and local people, but that can't be your problem.
vegplot

Make sure to keep yourself out of the firing line, and get paid up front, or at least limit your credit. I know this is difficult, especially with small and local people, but that can't be your problem.

Good advice. Never be someone else's bank.
Bodger

They've always worked COD with me.
graysalchemy

Good news Bodger, but don't rest on your laurels still have a think about new markets for your cider. I wish I had 3 yrs ago.
tahir

We've had 2 customers go bust this week Rolling Eyes
vegplot

We've had 2 customers go bust this week Rolling Eyes

Pants or some such similar item of clothing.
Bodger

I am going to spread my wings as far as possible and get as many eggs in as many baskets as possible.
I just wish my marketing ideas were a little less woolly. Embarassed I defintely need a few lessons in being able to see for the wood for the trees. My business acumen isn't brilliant and I'm far too much in love with the romance and life style of being a cider maker.
vegplot

I am going to spread my wings as far as possible and get as many eggs in as many baskets as possible.
I just wish my marketing ideas were a little less woolly. Embarassed I defintely need a few lessons in being able to see for the wood for the trees. My business acumen isn't brilliant and I'm far too much in love with the romance and life style of being a cider maker.

That describes many artisan business owners, including ourselves to some degree.
graysalchemy

I know to many brewers like that Laughing Laughing

I think the best thing is to stand out from the crowd, why is your product different what are your USP's however minor they may seem to you.

Even negatives can be a positive.

This is a lovely example of turning a negative into a positive

Quote:
Our bottled beers are not bottle conditioned - but are carefully filtered to preserve the flavour of the draught beer and to ensure you can enjoy them in perfect condition each and every time.

That is from a micro brewery in Cheshire who have there beer bottled by one of the major brewers I think.

Made me laugh.
vegplot

Our burgers are made from the best meat from free ranging grass fed animals breed for their beauty and elegance. Katieowl

Our burgers are made from the best meat from free ranging grass fed animals breed for their beauty and elegance.

Laughing

Times is 'ard though. Well probably all be over the moon to be offered a bit of horse steak, under the counter like, in a couple of years!!!

Kate
Mistress Rose

Like most small producers, out business strategy is a bit woolly but we try to have a range of customers big and small. We have some business customers who take quite a lot from us, but some members of the public too.

Bodger, could you sell at farmers markets or get your produce into a several small shops, sell at the gate etc. to get to a wider audience?
Hairyloon

Where are you based, and what are the practicalities of getting your brew up here?
I'm planning on a tour of local pubs looking for oil deals... might as well try to sell them cider while I'm there.
Though I don't claim to be any kind of salesman. Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home