Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Shan

Dear Chickens

Please come back into lay. I miss your beautiful eggs and it does seem somewhat ridiculous, having 14 chickens and no eggs. I know some of you are elderly but come on dammit, I want my eggs back!
chickenlady

Dear Human, I know you miss our eggs - but have you ever had to lay one - it's bloomin' painful I can tell you. Have you never heard the screech and cackle of relief when the job is done...and if you think we are in the mood for that sort of malarky when it's absolutely tipping down and freezing cold - then you have another thunk! Romance will be in the air around Valentine's day, usually, and then we might get a move on...but, until then...it's down to the supermarket for you I'm afraid. Sorry - but that's how it is in our henhouse. Laughing Wink
Shan

Come here chicken soup!!!
chickenlady

Lorrainelovesplants

Mine have started laying again. Im getting about 4 eggs a day from around 20 hens.
chickenlady

Good news....mine have just finished moulting so I hope it's not too long to wait now. Combs beginning to redden up.
Shan

HAHAHAHA - found some eggs today!!!!
jettejette

We have been getting at least a couple a weekall through Winter.
Mind you we do have 10 full grown hens, 8 juveniles and 4 cockerels so they are not exactly earning their chicken feed!
leggy

I bought six barnevelder pullets last year,and whilst they took awhile to start laying ,I have been getting at least 3/4 eggs a day out of them .i got loads eggs ATM lol
Though every time I clean them out I either sneeze alot or my eyes start burning /watering Crying or Very sad
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I bought six barnevelder pullets last year,and whilst they took awhile to start laying ,I have been getting at least 3/4 eggs a day out of them .i got loads eggs ATM lol
Though every time I clean them out I either sneeze alot or my eyes start burning /watering Crying or Very sad

What bedding are you using? I can't handle that new fangled miscanthus stuff without turning into Sneezy Snot Monster
chickenlady

I use Aubiose now....as it rots down quickly in the compost heap. If I can't get Aubiose I use Easibed.
leggy

Um there is a chicken on the side of it and it's blue wrapper, Embarassed
A quick Google and I think it's the fresh bed one.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home