Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Penny Outskirts

Debt Management Companies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11419812

..and they're surprised at this??

Evil people who prey on other's misfortunes, they should be illegal Mad
Hairyloon

Quote:
The regulator has ordered 129 firms to clean up their act within three months or face losing their licences.

What is the point of these licenses if not to set out the acceptable terms of business: if you breach the terms, you should lose the license... not if you keep on breaching the terms then you might lose it.
Brownbear

That only applies to ordinary people. Financial Services companies are assumed to be honest even when proven to not be.
Katieowl

CCCS are a charity and they are free....so I wonder why people bother with these other companies at all? I know two people who have dealt with debt via them...they appear to do the same thing as the ones you pay??

Kate
Penny Outskirts

Katieowl wrote:
CCCS are a charity and they are free....so I wonder why people bother with these other companies at all? I know two people who have dealt with debt via them...they appear to do the same thing as the ones you pay??

Kate

Not quite. The companies you pay will negotiate directly with the lenders for you - you end up paying a monthly fee to the debt company, from which they take their cut, and then pass on the remainder to the relevant companies.

CCCS are brilliant, really do help you every step of the way, but you do have to write to and negotiate with each company separately. For a lot of people, that can be very stressful, as you have to be pretty firm with most of the lenders to get them to accept your situation.

Many people find it much easier to just make the one monthly payment, and forget about it all.
Katieowl

Ah...well I suppose that assumes that there is some money in the kitty. Both the people I know who have had dealings with them were in the position where there wasn't anything at all to make a payment with!

They were brilliant help to both...and sorted out DRO for one of them. Top organisation to deal with if the effluent has hit the aircon.

Kate.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home