Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jema

Deep breaths...

Bucking up the courage to phone Dell and order a new 8000 server that will live in Maidenhead and allow downsizer to move home from across the pond.

It will be a Dell R610 with 48gb and Dual X5550 processors.

Plus it will run Citrix XenServer.

Any IT bods got any thoughts? I have been busy configuring some virtual machines ready with lighttpd along with the latest php and APC software, this should create an environment that beats Apache.

Sums like 8000 do make me wince a little though Laughing
tahir

Why XenServer and not VMWare? Everything we've ever had from Citrix has been very very expensive
jema

Because basic XenServer which is all we actually need is free.

VMware adds over 1000 a year to costs.
tahir

OPs messed with virtualisation, so's VP. We use the free version of VMWare on a server here.
jema

I have been running XenServer on and off on a box in the office since I started thinking about a new server.

It does seem to be working quite well, and it is now the solution I know which is an advantage. I think all virtualisation solutions these days do work, so in that sense the decision to use Xen is not make or break.
vegplot

Just about to deploy 3 Dells R710's in a virtualised environment. Total cost over 11k for the hardware. Scary!
jema

Indeed, there are just so many variables to take into account.
vegplot

I looked at XenServer and if we were running mixed environments it's the one I probably choose.
jema

Twisted Evil Somewhat riled, been negotiating price with Dell and came close to losing it as they kept insisting I should have windows server, when the final quote has come through it still fails to mention XenServer. There is an issue here as Dell support a 5.5 edition of Xen, but the server pages only seem to offer version 5 Sad What I wanted to do was to sort that issue out, not have someone bleating annoyingly about windows.
vegplot

I've never have that problem with Dell as we always buy our servers OS free and use our own licencing. I can PM you the contact details of our Dell account manager if you like.
jema

And ordered... 8,625 with the VAT Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

I recommend a sit down and a cup of tea Wink

VMware user here as you know; I know there are others but I'm a long-time workstation user and don't feel the need to change.

One of the main reasons I bought a powerful PC was to run multiple VMs effortlessly... which this machine does Very Happy Who can be bothered with loadsa machines cluttering the gaffe these days?
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home