Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Nick

Deep fried Mars Bar, a traditional Scotch pudding

200g plain flour
Teaspoon baking powder
Beer
Pinch of salt
Mars Bar

Mix flour, salt and baking powder with enough beer to make a batter as thick as single cream. Allow to stand for an hour. Cut Mars Bars in half, dip in batter and deep fry at 180 degrees in vegetable oil for about 60 seconds til golden brown. Remove, drain and eat with Irn Bru ice cream.

Crispy, bubbly batter, and sticky, warm chocolate, nougat and toffee goodness.

You probably won't manage two.
jamanda

We considered having these last night, but stuck with more whisky. We thought fun sized might be the way to go.
Nick

Fun size was what I ordered, full size was what was delivered. Can't get the staff.

Halved worked out ok.
AnnaD

Deep fried mars bars are very yummy. It's been years since I've had one though.
Nicky cigreen

dang wish I had thought of that for pud - though the shortbread was good - will try and make a note for next year
Nick

I didn't make the Irn Bru ice cream in the end, we had them with some blackcurrant and Guinness ice cream, because I already had that, and some cranachan.

I was banned from an Irn Bru sorbet, on the grounds that it's horrible. As I say, can't get the staff.
sean

I'm with your staff on this. Irn Bru is satan's urine.
Nick

Aye, but that way, it would have been used, and spread amongst the appreciative diners. Now, I'm stuck with two litres of the rusty pop.
Nick

Deep fried mars bars are very yummy. It's been years since I've had one though.

They have always been that mythical thing, almost a joke. But. They were very, very delicious.
crofter

Do you think it would work with a creme egg?

Irn bru:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25867613
jamanda

Do you think it would work with a creme egg?

I have it on good authority that there is a chippy in Westward Ho! that sells deep fried creme eggs in the run up to Easter.
AnnaD

They also do deep fried creme eggs in Edinburgh. I was quite intrigued. Pilsbury

I did them last year with the last bars from a mini pack left over from halloween, mars and snickers were good, bounty were amazing but i should of gone with my gut and not bothered with the crunchie bars..... sean

Ooooh, Bounty bars sound like a good idea. Pilsbury

Ooooh, Bounty bars sound like a good idea. pick any flavour icecream you loke with coconut and its a winning combination. 12Bore

The Lad asked for Deep Fried Mars bar in a chip shop in Glasgow.
He was told to **** off.

So he settled for the deep fried pizza instead. Laughing
Nick

Nigella does creme eggs and bounties.

Mind, she also does bullying ancient art collectors and cocaine.
nats

(Small nit pick. News reports in more than one paper suggested it was the art collector bullying HER rather than the other way round. The term used by her in court was "intimate abuse" which implies domestic violence and rape. This appears to have been missed when people are dismissing her for 2 counts of taking an illegal substance many years ago. End of nit pick) MornieG

Try with the Whisky and Honey Ice Cream in Recipies.

Mo.XX
Nick

(Small nit pick. News reports in more than one paper suggested it was the art collector bullying HER rather than the other way round. The term used by her in court was "intimate abuse" which implies domestic violence and rape. This appears to have been missed when people are dismissing her for 2 counts of taking an illegal substance many years ago. End of nit pick)

I meant he did the bullying, and she chose him, as well as the narcotics.
crofter

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/irn-bru-ice-cream-unveiled-in-glasgow-1-3284872 Nick

I was so there first. dpack

another much maligned scottish treat is bucky

tis the monkish equivalent of brown and white cut with vitamin pills and dissolved in meths is one opinion:lol:

but it goes well with a fried supper or whiskey chaser breakfast
Nick

I tried to get some, but even Asda failed me. Sad jamanda

Sorry? Bucky is made in Devon! They don't like the Scottish connotations (but not enough to stop selling it to then). evie2

I've never had a deep fried mars bar, I don't even remember hearing about them until recent years. crofter

Quote:
Police Scotland, which took over Strathclyde's responsibilities in April 2013, has apologised to Buckfast for the actions of an individual officer who tried to stop a retailer from stocking the tonic wine.

It also apologised for any "distress or inconvenience" caused to the shopkeeper and promised not to target Buckfast in this way again.

In a written undertaking, Assistant Chief Constable Wayne Mawson said the police "will not request licensed retailers, situated anywhere in Scotland, to cease stocking for sale Buckfast Tonic Wine".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25989700
sean

OK.
Fun size Mars bars? Check
Flour? Check
Baking Powder? Check
Beer? Check
Deep Frier? Check

We're going in...
MornieG

OK.
Fun size Mars bars? Check
Flour? Check
Baking Powder? Check
Beer? Check
Deep Frier? Check

We're going in...

Ummmmm and the result was .........................?

Mo.XX
sean

Dunno yet. Gervase

So, has Torrington yet made its own little blip on the actuarial radar thanks to the Jockanese invasion? When do these crispy chocolate torpedoes of death get to be launched? jamanda

It was not an unmitigated success. The batter didn't stick to the chocolate. Suggestions are welcome. Pilsbury

Thicker batter ane hotter oil, you dont actually have to cook anytjing inside, just grt the batter to seal and soak up some extra grease. evie2

Son has RL training in Scotland soon, he says first port of call will be finding the IrnBru ice lolly Rolling Eyes Jb

Son has RL training in Scotland soon, he says first port of call will be finding the IrnBru ice lolly Rolling Eyes

Is this close enough?

Obviously a sorbet as that's the healthy option compared to icecream.
Shan

If you will eat the crap on this thread, you would eat McDonalds. Positively vile! Nick

Feh, they are delicious, as a one off treat. Shan

Uggghhhh noooooo. I have never eaten one and never will. The smell positively leaves me wanting to retch. Kind of like the smell of an ikea meatball. Yuk. Hairyloon

Son has RL training in Scotland soon, he says first port of call will be finding the IrnBru ice lolly Rolling Eyes

Is this close enough?

Obviously a sorbet as that's the healthy option compared to icecream.
Only if it's deep fried.
Nick

Deep fried ice cream is interesting. Suspect a sorbet would fail. Hairyloon

Deep fried ice cream is interesting. Suspect a sorbet would fail.
It's a challenge for somebody....
Nick

It could be made, but the textures don't appeal, and it just go soggy. It's essentially water in batter. sean

You could do a sorbet inside an icecream and deep fry that.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home