Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
tahir

Dehydrator cupboard

I think I'm ready to give the dehydrator cupboard a go. We might use for dehydrating proper but i guess primary usage will be to dry nuts for storage, maybe clothes drying too? It can be 2.4 Mtrs high and 0.8 Mtrs wide, there's a central heating loop with its own thermo at the bottom not connected to anything ATM.

So what type/ how many fans, what slide out mechanism, what to use for heating?

All ideas gratefully received
dpack

the ch loop would be fine when the ch is on maybe a towel rail type rad fitted horizontally.

i would think for a cupboard that size a pooter fan blowing air in at the base and holes at the top would be enough and quite simple .ie avoiding the need for a fan that can run in a hot damp box.

is there plenty of ventilation where you are thinking of putting it ,iirc martin had a few probs with big dryers filling the lights with condensation.
Nick

I've got a couple of old PCs kicking about I could sell you? Twisted Evil
Cathryn

I know, I know, it's been a very busy summer!
And I've found some more mince. Smile
Hairyloon

Has anyone tried building a PC based dehydrator yet?
Lloyd

Interesting thought!! The pc cooling fan blows warm air into the dehydration box, and another pc fan at the other end extracts the air...........
Hairyloon

Interesting thought!! The pc cooling fan blows warm air into the dehydration box, and another pc fan at the other end extracts the air...........
I'd expect positive pressure would get the air out so probably no need for a second fan.
Nick

It'd be faster. tahir

the ch loop would be fine when the ch is on maybe a towel rail type rad fitted horizontally.

i would think for a cupboard that size a pooter fan blowing air in at the base and holes at the top would be enough and quite simple .ie avoiding the need for a fan that can run in a hot damp box.

is there plenty of ventilation where you are thinking of putting it ,iirc martin had a few probs with big dryers filling the lights with condensation.

There's an intake fir the MVHR directly above where the cupboard will be.

I was thinking PC fans, but the thing that worries me is how to get (somewhat) even circulation
tahir

It'd be faster.

And maybe if the 2nd one was halfway up would help with air distribution?
Nick

Convection with a fan would probably equal it out. You could spend months designing it, but probably build something, test, and modify with baffles is the way forward. CyberPaddy66

Currently have a plan for a solar dehydrator based on the carcass of an old scanner I butchered for the parts inside it, it will use sunlight in the summer and when it gets cloudy and miserable we might hook up the PC PSU's, we got 2 machines working almost full time here Very Happy

The only thing that worries me is it'll be in the bedroom and the smell of dehydrating food might make me dream of eating everything in the house including the pillows Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home