Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Hairyloon

DETS

I am sure that most of us have heard of LETS: the Local Exchange Trading System of barter.
The system should work with any close group of people, not necessarily physically close.
So have we considered a barter system within the Downsizer network?
Or is it already well established, and I've missed it?
Jamanda

I think many people on here help each other out without it needing to be formalised.

What do others think?
Penny Outskirts

I barter with all sorts of people, but all informally. Something to consider on a more formal basis perhaps?
judith

I think it works very well as it is - I have no interest in a formalised arrangement.
Hairyloon

Jamanda wrote:
I think many people on here help each other out without it needing to be formalised.

I am sure they do. But it is restricted that way.
Imagine you for which you wanted my help for a few days. If you were a close friend then I would quite likely just do it, and somewhere down the line, I would get a couple of days (or equivalent) back off you.
But (and no disrespect) you are not that close, and I would expect you to want to pay me... now you might just happen to have something I would want to trade for, but realistically, the only likely, sensible option would be money.
However, if there were such a thing, I would happily accept downsizer money, as I know there are people here that I could spend it with.
Hairyloon

judith wrote:
I think it works very well as it is - I have no interest in a formalised arrangement.

I don't think anyone was suggesting it was compulsory. Confused
judith

I don't think I implied that I thought it would be.
Hairyloon

judith wrote:

My point was simply that if a formal system existed, then it would not hamper anything informal alongside it.
Chez

judith wrote:

Ditto.
bagpuss

Hairyloon wrote:
judith wrote:

My point was simply that if a formal system existed, then it would not hamper anything informal alongside it.

Unfortunately I don't think that is true.

Anyone who participated in a formal solution would be far less amiable to an informal solution because they already bought into the formal solution
dpack

Chez wrote:
judith wrote:

Ditto.

yep
Treacodactyl

Just seen this mentioned, no idea if it's any good as I've not used it but thought it worth mentioning. http://www.streetbank.com/
Nick

Just seen this mentioned, no idea if it's any good as I've not used it but thought it worth mentioning. http://www.streetbank.com/

Like. Lots. Hope it takes off.
Chez

Is it just not like LETS, though?
sean

LETS is supposed to act as a currency isn't it? Which is where it breaks down because everybody wants a carpenter/gardener/electrician but there's a small level of demand for Hopi ear candling.
This just seems to be a localised version of downsizer/freecycle/freegle.
Nick only likes it because his neighbours are more than a km away. Wink
Chez

Yeah - but when it works it works quite well. I've found an active group here that does include people who actually DO stuff. Including someone with a 7.5 ton truck for hire. I must be the only person in the country who actually WANTS hopi ear candling rather than an electrician Smile. There's even a market once a month that you can take your stuff along to.

Did all Nick's close neighbours move out, then?
sean

I think that he had them deported to Australia or something. Herefordshire's still quite feudal.
Hairyloon

You don't frequent the Sheffieldforum do you? Or is it coincidence?

I like the idea of streetbank, but it was not what I was thinking of.

LETS is supposed to act as a currency isn't it? Which is where it breaks down because everybody wants a carpenter/gardener/electrician but there's a small level of demand for Hopi ear candling.
Which is why it makes sense to cast the net a bit wider.
Nick

I think that he had them deported to Australia or something. Herefordshire's still quite feudal.

Hell, yes.
charlieb

Unless you've tried one of the more formal websites out there, you're bound to think things are fine just as they are.

A more formal arrangement - which is accessible and organised well - can only be a good thing. Especially if it has community cohesion, reduction of waste and the act of sharing at its core.

Incidentally I'm a member of Streetbank too - and a massive fan. http://www.streetbank.com/

Smile
sean

I don't think that anyone's suggesting that people shouldn't join streetbank or whatever other scheme they want to take part in. More that within the framework of downsizer the existing help/barter system works very nicely without the need for more formal administration.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home