Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
HenX

Dexter Cattle +one BOGOF freisian

On behalf of a neighbour, I have her contact details, but she doesn't really *do* internet.

She is selling her 2 Dexter cows, mum and daughter, both registered, mum is black and daughter is red. mum came from a herd down in somerset, and was in calf when bought. She did give me the name of the herd, but for the life of me I can't remember it.

Mum is 4 years, the daughter is 2 years.

They also come with a fresian companion, was intended to be a house cow, but turned out to be a freemartin. they hand reared her, and know that she will be culled, but having hand reared her don't want to do it themselves.

Only for sale due to loss of land.

£400 for all 3.
earthmamma

If only I had the money bandhead
HenX

There was part of me that went "I'll have them" but the sensible hat has been stuck on today, so I didn't. angel11
chez

*radiates admiration at sensible-hatness*
jamanda

You keep that hat firmly on Chez! House rabbits are bad enough - a house cow would be dreadful for the shagpile.
chez

And a freemartin housecow would be particularly useless Laughing

The rabbit's on hold - I need to buy a new chicken house. As you do.
HenX

Did you choose a house yet Chez?
SandraR

Please may I borrow the sensible hat. I've been googling 'keeping ferrets' Rolling Eyes
HenX

*passes sensible hats* I should warn you though, it has a nasty habit of flying of at inopportune moments!!
Penny Outskirts

What's a freemartin cow? Does it do funny handshakes or something?
gardening-girl

**Wonders if the allotment gestapo would allow cows**.
HenX

It's one of twins, where the other twin was male. It means the cow will be infertile, I think due to overexposure to testosterone in the womb. I'm sure someone who know's "stuff" about cows will be able to explain it properly though.
HenX

**Wonders if the allotment gestapo would allow cows**.

Snort. I'd really like to be there when you ask. make sure you explain the sizes in m not ft!
Rob R

Can I provisionally* snap their hand off?

*Providing they haven't got TB, or three legs between them or something
HenX

Rob, probably, I'll give her your details if that's ok? She wants whoever buys them to pay for the tb test too, sorry, completely forgot that bit in a hayfevery fog. I have no concept of how much that costs though?
Rob R

Yep, pass them on, Nat's mobile is most likely to be answered tomorrow as we're out & about & we were banking on the TB test being to pay for. Funny, we were just talking about needing a few more females, as this year we've had pretty much nothing but bull calves.
chez

Does that mean you'll be going down to collect them? Because if so, we could come up and meet you at Hen's. I want to see the baby. (And you two of course Smile )
HenX

Oooo that would be a plan. I have a spare Ixworth hen if Nat would like it as well. She's exceedingly broody until I separate her from the rest of the flock. I think a complete change of scene would do her good!
Rob R

I'm not so sure how it'll work yet, as three beaties would probably be more than the Skoda could tow...

But yes, certainly if we can all manage to be in the same place at the same time we might bring the baby. Wink
Rob R

It's one of twins, where the other twin was male. It means the cow will be infertile, I think due to overexposure to testosterone in the womb. I'm sure someone who know's "stuff" about cows will be able to explain it properly though.

That's about the long & the short of it, really.
dpack

Wink
too quick Laughing
HenX

Rob, I'm assuming you'll send the friesian for beef. There's an abattoir here (Ensors) that you could drop her at, and then only have to transport the 2 smaller ones. Nick

Ensors is a great place. It's one I use, and if we plan it, I could probably help out, possibly even collect the meat and bring it up.

Or, it could go straight to market?
Rob R

I'm trying to work out if it is worth the TB risk bringing two cows to Yorkshire right on bulling time when my quarantine facilities are full of non-bulling groups & I've just been offered a whole herd closer to home. I would send the Friesian to market in any case. So ideally I need a Southern buyer for two pedigree cows now... HenX

Nick keeps Dexter's doesn't he......

I'm hanging on to my sensible hat.
Nick

I do. Rob R

The deal is now off, they now want £500 and no bogof Friesian.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home