Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
yummersetter

Diamond Jubilee

We had a Diamond Jubilee Party Arrangement Committee meeting the other night ( yes, our hamlet is like that Rolling Eyes full of posh, organising folks with time on their hands). So far it looks as if we're having a village BBQ /wine & nibbles lunch party on the 4th June with monogrammed mugs for sale. Bring your own food, drink and crown.

I'm feeling a distinct lack of excitement about it, what's happening elsewhere? I guess everyone knows that Monday and Tuesday are Bank Holidays?
Green Rosie

We'll be busy welcoming guests who want to escape it Wink Laughing
Bebo

Beginning of June. I expect I'll celebrate by trying to get on top of the weeding, planting out courgettes and runner beans if I haven't already done so, side shooting the tomatoes and cleaning out chickens.
pookie

Re: Diamond Jubilee

Bring your own food, drink and crown.

Laughing
mochyn

We will be doing our bests to ignore it.
T.G

It's our 25th (silver) wedding anniversary the following month so we will be in party mood anyhow Very Happy
robkb

Wot Bebo said, but without the chickens.
dpack

vive la republic

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
George Bernard Shaw
boisdevie1

As a staunch republican I shall treat the event with the contempt it deserves.
robkb

Considering your location I don't imagine that'll be too hard Wink
dpack

Laughing
there seems to be two themes emerging here Laughing
yummersetter

I thought Bois was a bit overharsh on our village event, myself. Bebo

I thought Bois was a bit overharsh on our village event, myself.

Me too. But then I'm not a republican. Just looking at France is enough to put me off that system.
sean

I've no idea what I'll be doing. What date is it anyway?
Our district council have decided that Bideford is going to officially ignore the Olympic torch passing through in favour of celebrating the jubilee.
dpack

i think my point is that even ,if i am not invited to her party , as her subject, i could celebrate her person and office in my own time if i want to fills me with a deep horror

if they trust you to vote why does right of birth give the ultimate powers to a king
sean

I think 'if I want to' is quite important there. Loons like Gove aside nobody's saying that we/you/I *have* to do anything. madcat

having happily enjoyed the pubs being open all day for royal occasions in the pre extended opening hours era I expect i can summon up the energy to have a sod the jubilee piss up somewhere yummersetter

The late May holiday is being shifted to Monday June 4th, they're adding another Bank holiday on June 5th and special events are being held from 2nd to 5th June. There's a nationwide Big Lunch and Thames pageant on the 3rd, a chain of beacons and a possible Buckingham Palace concert on the 4th. sean

Ahh. We're doing a beacon then. (Not me personally, this lot.) robkb

Ah, forgot the Thames pageant - that I would like to see. evie2

Any excuse for a party Very Happy but then again, back in the day, I'd probably have been sitting, knitting by the guillotine Laughing alice

What a load of old misery guts Laughing
I'd join a street party for Her Maj - if we had a street.
I hope she has a jolly day and all her subjects have a right royal knees up.
I expect it'll pass unnoticed here seeing as the council killjoys squashed the bank holiday for 'The Wedding' last year and ensured everything was business as usual Rolling Eyes
mochyn

I expect it'll pass unnoticed here seeing as the council killjoys squashed the bank holiday for 'The Wedding' last year and ensured everything was business as usual Rolling Eyes

I'm usually up for a party, but not in this case: I don't support the monarchy at all, so I don't see any reason for celebrating. I'm not a misery guts though! Laughing
Behemoth

The neighbourhood usually has some sort of street party/big lunch about then so it will be coincidentally on that weekend and if anyone wants to bring a flag to wave they can. boisdevie1

I'm usually up for a party, but not in this case: I don't support the monarchy at all, so I don't see any reason for celebrating. I'm not a misery guts though! Laughing

What she said
alice

Notwithstanding, I hope she gets her boat.
I hope she gets two Cool
chez

I hope she gets two Cool

I'm totally prepared to sign over Nenna's DLA so she gets them. The poor deprived thing.
boisdevie1

I think you taxpayers should get her lots of boats. And obviously a few more palaces. Perhaps the right to the blood of your firstborn as well? Bebo

I think you taxpayers should get her lots of boats. And obviously a few more palaces. Perhaps the right to the blood of your firstborn as well?

Seeing as how you don't pay tax here I don't know what you're whinging about.
Bebo

I hope she gets two Cool

I'm totally prepared to sign over Nenna's DLA so she gets them. The poor deprived thing.

No-one asked you to. A Tory twathead made a daft suggestion and everyone now seems to think that Queenie wants a new boat. She ain't getting one, but the govt might take the DLA away anyway.
boisdevie1

I think you taxpayers should get her lots of boats. And obviously a few more palaces. Perhaps the right to the blood of your firstborn as well?

Seeing as how you don't pay tax here I don't know what you're whinging about.

Not whingeing at all. Just glad not to have to fund it. I think the word you are looking for is 'smug'
Treacodactyl

Is the presidential system in France that much better? It seems like you get similar problems but with added footballer's wife. boisdevie1

Is the presidential system in France that much better? It seems like you get similar problems but with added footballer's wife.

No system is perfect. BUT the French get to choose who is the boss by an election - and if they choose an idiot/loony then at least they've had the choice. Which is a bit different to having a head of state on the basis of who popped out of the uterus first.
chez

No-one asked you to. A Tory twathead made a daft suggestion and everyone now seems to think that Queenie wants a new boat. She ain't getting one, but the govt might take the DLA away anyway.

Have you been to the pub already? Wink
evie2

Why would she want a new boat Confused

I like the Queen, Prince Philip and Ann, don't care much for any of the others and as for the hangers on, off with their heads Laughing
Treacodactyl

Why would she want a new boat Confused

I don't think anyone has asked her have they?
Bebo

Have you been to the pub already? Wink

Nope. But I have now.
Bebo

Anyway, as I've been to the pub and I'm expected to be stroppy. I have no problem with the royals. Civil list payment for 2011 was 7.9m, income from the Crown Estate direct into the treasury for year upto end of March 2011 was just over 230million. Why don't we stop funding them and just give them their land back? Doh! jamanda

What's she going to do with a new boat at her age anyway?

Got Michael Gove banged to rights there though Bebo.
Liz in Ireland

Bizarrely many here were very excited when she visited Laughing We had her one week and American President the next. Cost us a fortune Rolling Eyes that we haven't got.
toggle

Is the presidential system in France that much better? It seems like you get similar problems but with added footballer's wife.

No system is perfect. BUT the French get to choose who is the boss by an election - and if they choose an idiot/loony then at least they've had the choice. Which is a bit different to having a head of state on the basis of who popped out of the uterus first.

I am somewhat in favour of retaining the system we have until someone can proove to me that a change brings demonstrable benefits to someone other than the person who wants to elect themselves president.

what i do wihs to aviod at all costs is a US style system that combines head of stsate with head of government
toggle

Bizarrely many here were very excited when she visited Laughing We had her one week and American President the next. Cost us a fortune Rolling Eyes that we haven't got.

Very Happy

did strike me as a bit odd that. then again, wasn't there a huge effort to keep the protestors away so it all looked welcoming and smelt of fresh paint rather than unwashed crusty protestor?
gardening-girl

I suspect we will be working.Residents want a party. Duckhead

I think that she is a lovely old lady. She has gone about her job to the best of her ability, and she has done it very well. If every old Mum or Grandma set the example that the Queen has set then the world would be a better place.
I love and admire her.
yummersetter

But, disregarding the lack of regard of some for our monarch, if you were to put on a celebration with your neighbours to mark her 60 years as Head of State, how would you make it more fun, entertaining and appropriate? A bit more Royal and/or 1950s?

Of course, down hereabouts we're still grumpy that the Duke of Monmouth was robbed of the throne.

I think some of the village brigadiers would be quite keen on hanging a few peasants if we could find a handy archway.
Jools

I don't have a problem with having a monarchy rather than a presidency. In fact, I think I prefer having a monarchy. At least you know that the monarch is there because she was born into it, rather than being a power hungry grabber.

Also, it brings in the tourists. The Americans LOVE anything royal. Funny that, considering they fought against it!

She's had a really tough job for pretty much all her life. I certainly wouldn't want it.

It's funny, I remember the silver jubilee. Everwhere had street parties, people flocked to stand along the routes where her car would drive past, everyone loved her. What's happened?

At her golden jubilee, myself, MIL and son, stood and waved little flags when she went past. If she heads this way again, I shall do it again.

I have a lot of respect for her.
jamanda

Some people will still do that Jools. Not everyone did in 77. We moved house on Jubilee day because my Dad reckoned the roads would be empty. I did get coins and mugs from both the school I left and the new one Laughing Jools

We had a great time. I remember my dad sewing yards and yards of bunting.
The street party commitee had made loads of provisions for the kids. Apart from the lovely party food, we had old films to watch in the Co-op hall in the afternoon after the Queen had driven past and in the evening there was a disco and bar.

Us kids managed to get a bit tipsy on bottles of Snowball that we sneaked out from behind the bar. Laughing

It was great fun!
Ty Gwyn

[quote="yummersetter:1209613"]

Of course, down hereabouts we're still grumpy that the Duke of Monmouth was robbed of the throne.

Was nt he the one that had 6 blows of the axe,and finished off with a butchers knife?
Liz in Ireland

Very Happy

did strike me as a bit odd that. then again, wasn't there a huge effort to keep the protestors away so it all looked welcoming and smelt of fresh paint rather than unwashed crusty protestor?

They kept everyone away Laughing But there really weren't that many protesters, well not in Dublin anyway. And I think they painted Moneygall for Obama more than anywhere else for the Queen.
Jools

They kept everyone away Laughing But there really weren't that many protesters, well not in Dublin anyway. And I think they painted Moneygall for Obama more than anywhere else for the Queen.

Because the US Pres is more important now? The Queen doesn't really have any powers now and the US is our most important ally and we kowtow to them.
jamanda

I think the president of the USA has been more important than our symbolic head of state for quite some time - certainly all of my life time. Jools

True.

Our head of state is just that. A head.
jamanda

Mind you - I'm not as principled as my Dad. If there's a p**s up afoot we'll probably end up at it. (But I draw the line at union jack (union flag for the pedants) knickers) Jools

As much as I like the monarchy, I really hate expressions of patriotism. Probably because it makes me think of the *American way*.

ie, you have to be patriotic and if you're not, you're against the government.

Also, nowadays, in the UK, if you fly an English flag, it's assumed you're a member of the BNP or such like. Which is understandable because we never flew English flags in the past, we flew the Jack.

The racists have taken over the English flag which annoys me, because it's fine to fly the Scottish or Welsh flags and you're not deemed racist.
jamanda

No. If you fly a St Georges flag you are taken to be supporting the England footy team. which is fine. We have a nylon one, made in China, which BW hangs out of his window on occasion. No one ever considered flying it all in my day. Jools

Oh yeah, I forgot about the footie. That seems to be the only other time it's ok to fly it. jamanda

Oh yeah, I forgot about the footie. That seems to be the only other time it's ok to fly it.

Other? When's the first time?
Behemoth

When you're oppressing minorities, tsk Rolling Eyes jamanda

When you're oppressing minorities, tsk Rolling Eyes

Oppressing what? - you changed that!
Jools

Other?

Racists use the George flag. They seem to forget that we live in a united kingdom made up of a few other countries. (Wales, Scotland and NI.)

They use the flag to denote their Englishness/whiteness. (I was married to a *skin*)
boisdevie1

Also, it brings in the tourists.

Prove it.

I live in France. We have shedloads of tourists. Funnily enough, no monarchy.
Annette H

I think that she is a lovely old lady. She has gone about her job to the best of her ability, and she has done it very well. If every old Mum or Grandma set the example that the Queen has set then the world would be a better place.

Agree, and any excuse for a party is fine by me Smile
Nick

Also, it brings in the tourists.

Prove it.

I live in France. We have shedloads of tourists. Funnily enough, no monarchy.

Don't be a muppet. You seriously don't think those thousands of people who stand outside Buck house, visit Windsor, attend the Royal Weddings and funerals are there by chance?

You may not like the monarchy, but to deny they generate tourism is daft.
Bebo

As much as I like the monarchy, I really hate expressions of patriotism.

This is something that really annoys me (not you Jools, just the prevalent attitude that being proud of your country and its history is wrong). I am proud to be English. I'm proud that I come from the country that has had this enshrined in law since 1297:
"No Freeman shall be taken, or imprisoned, or be disseised of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any otherwise destroyed; nor will we pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful Judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the Land. We will sell to no man, we will not deny or defer to any man either Justice or Right."
jamanda

Other?

Racists use the George flag. They seem to forget that we live in a united kingdom made up of a few other countries. (Wales, Scotland and NI.)

They use the flag to denote their Englishness/whiteness. (I was married to a *skin*)

But I don't think that is OK. So the footy is the only time when it is.

I suppose they will have to redo the union flag when Scotland go solo.
toggle

As much as I like the monarchy, I really hate expressions of patriotism.

This is something that really annoys me (not you Jools, just the prevalent attitude that being proud of your country and its history is wrong). I am proud to be English. I'm proud that I come from the country that has had this enshrined in law since 1297:
"No Freeman shall be taken, or imprisoned, or be disseised of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any otherwise destroyed; nor will we pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful Judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the Land. We will sell to no man, we will not deny or defer to any man either Justice or Right."

there's a lot that Britain has done to be proud of and a lot that is of a somewhat more shameful nature. many people tend to either focus on one side of that or the other and go for blind patriotism or self loathing.

Think I've said before that i'd absolutely love it if the english in general would have a grown up debate over what it means to be english, take back the symbols of englishness from the far right and find a way to be comfortable expressing acceptance of the good and bad bits in their history. Considering the complete lack of understanding from most people as to issues like the nature of the debate in NI, why many in scotland and wales want independence and why cornwall has a seperate identity at all, i'm working on the principle that it would be easier for england's neighbours if the english understood englishness, then they would be more able to understand why their neighbours have a different identity.

hope that makes some sort of sense
Frazzled_Barbie

In our village there seems quite a lot will be going on - I think they are trying to make sure that there will be at least one event that you will want to attend.

"festivities will get underway on Friday 1 June with the opening of an exhibition on life in the village over the past 60 years coupled with a presentation on the links between the village and various kings and queens over the past 1,000 years.

Saturday, 2 June, sees a dinner/dance with the 1950s theme in a large marquee at the Sports and Social Club.

An event for children is being planned for the common over the weekend, in addition to a "Big Lunch" on Sunday 3 June, which will be part of a network of street parties being held throughout the UK.

A Tea Dance is being organised by the WI on Monday 4 June, and the whole weekend finishes with a bang on the Monday evening with a fireworks display and the lighting of a Beacon"

Wether you like/agree/support the monarchy (though I do like old madge) I think it will be good for our village...get us all together as a community etc.

I will be getting my England flag out of mothballs and putting it up....though to be fair I normally wear it as a shawl....

And maybe we should reclaim our flag....if more of us used it then the rotters that have started using it for other reasons wouldnt have quite such a hold on it.
jamanda

ueen

Interesting though that the assumption that the Queen's birthday or jubilee or what ever should just be English. Frazzled_Barbie

Re: ueen

Interesting though that the assumption that the Queen's birthday or jubilee or what ever should just be English.

Madge's official title I am led to believe is Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

For me that means I can get the england flag out, my next door neighbour being welsh can get his out and so on...

I didnt mean to imply that celebrating this was only for the English.
yummersetter

When I grew up, in the 50s, it was very much stressed to us children that we were part of a worldwide family - the Commonwealth.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home