Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Bodger

Diatomaceous Earth?

A few years ago, this stuff was heralded as the poultry keepers saviour from the dreaded red mite. At the time, I recall that quite a few Downsizers were extremely enthusiastic about its use and I was wondering if now that a few years have gone by, has that enthusiasm waned at all? Do you still use it and if so, how does it fit in with your pest control strategy these days? Still a saviour, or a false dawn?
This morning, I'll be sloshing the old creosote around yet another infested shed. Crying or Very sad
Lorrainelovesplants

No, dont rate it...........
I swap between diluted Jeyes, derris powder, ant powder and Total Mite Kill.
chez

I use it on both birds and housing and find it very effective.

I also use vaseline and a blowtorch.
Bodger

I use a mixture of methods and still struggle.
I've started using the Diatomaceous Earth this season and it does kill red mite, but not all, I also spray the sheds with insecticide, use Ivomec pour on the birds and cresote the sheds when things get really bad. The problem with the creosote, is that you have to leave the sheds empty for so long if they are housing laying birds, because the eggs definately pick up a taint.
Nick

Does this mean backyard chickens and their eggs are among the most chemically treated food stuffs we eat, all in the name of free range, or home produced and such?

I know pests need to be controlled but this stuff is presumably ending up in eggs, and in watercourses afterwards.
Bodger

To which stuff in particular do you refer too Nick?
Nick

Creosote, Jeyes, Derris, antimite powder, Ant powder, Insecticide and ivomec.
Lorrainelovesplants

You should see what they use commercially to treat RedMite.........

and remember, a lot of commercial poultry outfits dont treat for RM. They just wait till the end of the 'crop' (18 months) and clear out and THEN treat just the shed.
Nick

Oh, I understand fully. Just wondering, tis all.
Bodger

The Diatomaceous Earth is a natural product, thats why everyone got so excited.
I haven't used jeyes fluid since they changed the formula and animals started to die after taking the stuff in through their feet. There's a withdrawl period for Ivomec, which although used on chickens, as far as I know, isn't licenced for them. The old creosote has been taken off the market because it might, or is deemed to be carcinogenic and if insecticide kills insects, then IMO it can't be anygood for humans, so the answer to your original question is almost certainly "yes" buts thats still better than having those 'ORRIBLE' little critters crawling all over you and making you itch Very Happy
chez

Diatom isn't a chemical, it's a mineral - the remains of microscopic one-celled plant(phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered the western part of the US and other parts of the world. These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms. I am happier with that going in to the water course than chemical things - it's inert and works by abrading the exoskeleton of the insects.

All the other stuff, yes, it does, as it does from commercial businesses. And, of course, it ends up in the eggs. Flubenvet, the usual worming product, is licensed for use on laying birds without withdrawing the eggs from the food chain. Eprinex, which is what I am currently using for worms, is licensed for use on dairy cattle in the UK (with no milk withdrawal); I get it under prescription from my vet and have been told to withdraw for a week when using on poultry as it is not licensed in the UK - however, in the US, it is licensed. As a happy side effect, it also deals with biting lice and mites.

I think it's a balance, as with everything. You have to strike a balance between healthy birds and continuing egg production and chemical overload.

I think the temptation is to look for a 'one size fits all' solution; and really, it is good practice, good hygiene and good livestock management that do the trick, rather than madly applying random chemicals looking for a magic solution.
Finsky

I've been using DE in my chicken shed for few years now and there haven't been any problems with mites or any other sort of 'bleeders' at all.
I'm using it quite liberally..dusting walls, floor, perches and nest boxes 2-3 times a month so that it is all over the place all the time.. Laughing
In cooler weather when I make moist mash..I mix DE powder in their feed too, only a small amount and I haven't used any other worming product for them anymore neither.
..and little dusting in their grains and pellet sack too..keeps insect in bay from those too.
I haven't tried to my dog yet..apparantely you could use it for fleas and worming for them too... Laughing

Good stuff!
Treacodactyl

Does this mean backyard chickens and their eggs are among the most chemically treated food stuffs we eat, all in the name of free range, or home produced and such?

I know pests need to be controlled but this stuff is presumably ending up in eggs, and in watercourses afterwards.

When we had our hens for 8 years or so they were never treated for lice, red mite or anything other than the odd dose of worming powder. We never had any infestation so not all backyard hens will be overly chemically treated.

I'm not sure why they escaped things like red mite, the often free ranged around the garden and there were plenty of wild birds about.
Tavascarow

I have never used diatomous earth so can't comment on its efficacy.
One thing I would caution on its use is that although an inert material, with something so fine & abrasive some care should be taken during application.
Inhaling the dust can't be good for the lungs.
I don't use chemical pesticides because those that are effective on red mites aren't licensed for poultry & repetitive use of one only builds resistance, which compounds the problems later.
I think one reason why red mites are a problem to some poultry keepers is their choice of housing.
I stay away from feather edge & shiplap cladding with a vengeance.
External ply is easier to construct, & provides less nooks & crannies for the little bleeders to hide, & easier to see.
IMHO the vast majority of poultry housing puts aesthetics before suitability.
My red mite regime is when I see them I spray the house with jeyes.
chez

Inhaling the dust can't be good for the lungs.

Definitely. And I think it's what finally killed my dyson.
HenX

God, you're as bad as M-J. What are you doing hoovering the hen houses? sean

I don't think that Chez vacuums them herself. She has a cleaner for that sort of thing. HenX

Ah, that's why she has him, I thought it was just to ogle is manly tattooed chest. chez

Rolling Eyes

We had an ant problem in the conservatory and I piled the diatom up along the crack they were coming in to. It worked really well so I hoovered it all up with the dyson, which then died.

But now we have a Henry, I am seriously considering hoovering the quail shed, now you mention it.
Leo

Have to say i've never used DE, but have heard a lot of poultry keepers opinions on it.
Two mains worries often come up:-

1) It's likened to the glass sheard like qualities of volcanic (Pumice) ash. The possibility of health/breathing problems after inhalation are considerable. Breathing masks should be worn when using it (that's people - no idea how the hens are supposed to manage!).

2) Lots of poultry (& other animal keepers) feed it to their animals as an internal parasite killer. I gather this works pretty much the same as on the outside, but I wonder what damage this causes to the digestive tract.

Not sure I will be using it anytime soon.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home