Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
jettejette

Different fruit combinations for jam?

Having cleared the chest freezer ready for defrosting, I found a tub of gooseberries, two of blackberries and one of apples.
So put them all together, with a bit of lemon juice and the required amount of sugrar and made jam.
It's delicious, though I say so myself! Anyone else out there made an unusual combination?🍒🍎🍇🍉🍋🍊🍌🍏🍑
dpack

that is a normal sort of mix here,unusual might be along the lines of raspberry and pear(which is nicer than it might sound).
VM

Pear and blackberries are both good additions to other fruit I think.

My favourite from last year is quince and pumpkin. Don't know if it is unusual but it is certainly good - for those that like quince.

In fact I think I might need some just now.... Smile
yummersetter

I'm out of pure quince jelly for barter gifts, except to those who don't flinch at the 2012 pots. I did find a stash of last year's blackberry, apple and quince jelly though and that tastes very good.
jettejette

Mmmmm! Reading your replies I realise I've been a bit too conservative in my jam making.
The past couple of years I've made, apple and blackberry, blakcurrant, quince jam and jelly. We had lots of pears last year so will definitely add those to my list of 'jam' fruit.
Shan

Gooseberry and strawberry make a good combination.
wellington womble

I'm looking forward to quinces this year.
Nicky cigreen

we make 'freezer bottom jam' - labelled so. Made with whatever fruit is found, usually including apples and blackcurrants
mochyn

Gooseberry and strawberry is lovely, as is balckcurrant and raspberry.
jettejette

we make 'freezer bottom jam' - labelled so. Made with whatever fruit is found, usually including apples and blackcurrants

Love this idea! I suppose you could extend it with 'vegetable rack remains' soup, or 'back of fridge' casserole. LOL.
VM

Friend of my mum's used to make what she called 'fridge-tidy soup', but looked like she'd run a mile when my mum threatened to make it from contents of her fridge (she doesn't throw anything away... ever Shocked )

I used to make a very nice jam from combination of blackberries, pears and late plums. The pears lightened the plums and the blackberries just added more deliciousness.
joanne

I have vast amounts of damsons frozen from last year and what I think may be blackcurrant juice for wine, shall have to defrost it and make a decision on what to do with it!
jettejette

I have vast amounts of damsons frozen from last year and what I think may be blackcurrant juice for wine, shall have to defrost it and make a decision on what to do with it!

I'd love to have vast amounts of damsons, Joanne. The most I ever get is about four! My husband once picked a huge amount of plums from a railway embankment. We made jam but also some of the best homemade wine I've ever tasted!
James

I nomally chuck everything in together based on the 50:50 (fruit: sugar) ratio. So that's any combination of blackcurrents, loganberries, blackberries gooseberries, apples, plums, pears. Frankly, when the kids are scoffing it like its going out of fashion, the important thing is that we have a years supply and its got a good taste and texture.

Some rules I stick by...
- always mix low pectin fruit (loganberry, blackberries) with high pectin (gooseberry, blackcurrant, plum)
- if you have only high pectin fruit, add some water (& equivilant extra sugar also).
- add stewed apple or pear to bulk it out- easily get a couple of extra jars.
- add small quantities of strong flavoured fruit (blackcurrant, raspberry, loganberry) to less flavoursome fruit (plum, blackberries in a cool wet year) to stretch things out.
- for some reason, gooseberry & blackberry doesn't taste right IMHO.
- add grated unripe apple windfall for extra pectin
- most plum pectin surrounds the stone. So if you want pectin, don't de-stone before the boil. Pectin breaks down in well ripend fruit.

I always keep a decent amount of plums for plum & ginger chutney. Gives mango chutney a run for its money.
otatop

A favourite here is Bramley apple and sloe jelly, using the sloes after straining off the gin. It has a faint taste of almonds from the stones - and it's absolutely delicious.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home