Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
snowball

diluting too much curry powder

I made a rather nice lentil and vegetable soup for the half toothed invalid.
I then ruined it by adding too much curry powder.
what can I add to take some of the heat out?
sean

Yogurt or cream or milk. Adding lemon juice seems to make things taste less hot too.
Nick

Potatoes. They'll absorb a lot. Remove them before serving.

And add a teaspoon of sugar.
jamanda

Potatoes. They'll absorb a lot. Remove them before serving.

That always struck me as nonsense. Does it work?
Nick

Dunno. Never had to do it, but it makes sense.
jamanda

no it doesn't.
snowball

Potatoes work with salt removal. Nick

no it doesn't.

Of course it does. They will take on some of the flavour, and then you remove them, with those flavours.
jamanda

no it doesn't.

Of course it does. They will take on some of the flavour, and then you remove them, with those flavours.

very little flavour, unless you cook them until they're too soggy to take out, or increase the surface area to volume ratio and then you'd have hundred littlle bits of spud to take out. The diffusion rate of curry hotness through half a spud has to be unmeasurable.
Nick

So, slice your spuds. jamanda

It's the placebo effect. Just diluting stuff doesn't work! RichardW

It's the placebo effect. Just diluting stuff doesn't work!

Works on my juice drinks.
jamanda

Potatoes work with salt removal.

I don't buy that either.
Nick

You're not just diluting, you're removing them, too.

But diluting things makes them weaker. Thats why shandy is half as alcoholic as beer.
jamanda

You're not just diluting, you're removing them, too.

But diluting things makes them weaker. That's why shandy is half as alcoholic as beer.

I can't believe it removes enough to make a perceivable difference before the spud is too cooked to be able to remove..
Nick

Make your mind up, either it works, or it's a placebo. We can worry about how many potatoes to use once you've come to your senses. Wink jamanda

Make your mind up, either it works, or it's a placebo. We can worry about how many potatoes to use once you've come to your senses. Wink

I'll start referring to myself in the third person if you're not careful!
Nick

As another thought, the chilli heat prefers to dissolve in oil, rather than water. I wonder if adding lard to hot soup, mixing, then removing it when chilled and solidified might help. Clearly not a quick fix, but a bit of science. jamanda

now that might work! Nick

My worry would be that it would also remove solids from the soup. An oil layer could work, but it's harder to remove. jamanda

Remove, melt, filter, return residue? sean

Do they not have kitchen roll in Hereford then? You should pick some up when you're on your travels, it's amazingly handy. Gervase

homeopathic spuds seems deliciously daft; I'd vote for yoghurt (full fat) and sugar - one to dilute the capsaicin and the other to mask it. Failing that, try reiki… Nick

Yep, both would work. Poor old Jema is going to die of hunger waiting for this soup.

My kitchen roll keeps getting nicked, incidentally, for people eating with their fingers!
snowball

He is not staving. I made him a very nice mushroom soup.
will try yoghurt and lemon juice tomorrow.
I just need to mask some of the heat.
RichardW

Just bulk it up to double / treble the volume & cook it for long enough for the spices to fully spread through the mix. RichardW

My kitchen roll keeps getting nicked, incidentally, for people eating with their fingers!

Not in this mans army linky
sally_in_wales

I'd go with more ingredients, which may well include potatoes, because, hey, they are nice in soup, to distribute the existing spice across a larger body of soup this making it less spicy. Finsky

'bulk' option is in my mind too... though.. making new soup altogether and using small quantity from the spicy one as a 'stock cube' would be probably what I would do. Rest of it could be frozen in smaller quantities to spice up future soups and stews Wink snowball

That is an interesting idea Finsky Nick

Whilst driving for 5 hours this morning, it dawned on me that I'd missed this attack on homeopathy. Well done you! Smile
tahir

As another thought, the chilli heat prefers to dissolve in oil, rather than water. I wonder if adding lard to hot soup, mixing, then removing it when chilled and solidified might help. Clearly not a quick fix, but a bit of science.

Sounds more plausible
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home