Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Jb

Dishwasher economy settings

We have finally given in and now have a dishwasher (part of our new kitchen so it seemed a good time to do so). It has an economy setting which runs at 50°C rather than 60°C and so saves .25KWh which is good but it uses more water, 15l rather than 11l. So which is greener?
Flyguy

It depends on where you are and how 'sustainable' your water is. Living in Sheffield, my water comes straight off the rainy Peaks and is not in short supply.

As such I would trade off a few liters of water for an electricity saving.

If you lived in an arid area with cheep electricity then you might go the other way....
Nick

Indeed. My water is free, my electricity is not. A pertinent question might be, which one gets the dishes clean? Our quick cycle doesn't, making it useless, although, in isolation, very green.
Nell Merionwen

you can't get a dishwasher greener than mine.....
It doesn't work Rolling Eyes
RichardW

If you did 250 washes you would use an extra 1m3 (1000L). Round here that would cost about £1.50.

The saved elec would be 62.5kwh which on E7 would be about £2.50 & on normal rate about £7.50.

Which is "greener" is much harder to work out.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home