Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Disinfecting hen houses

One of our hens has got scaly leg. I am going to rub her legs with surgical spirit and then cover them with liquid paraffin. Do I wait for the others to show symptoms or can I do anything else? I want to then really scrub out the hen house - can anyone recommend a suitable disinfectant. They will have to go back in it that night and I don't want overkill - I mean I try to avoid strong chemicals so if a thorough vacuum out (we are going to use an old one) or washing up liquid will do the job as well then I would prefer to use that.

Where will the mite have come from? We introduced a new hen about three weeks ago who shows no sign of it - but then neither did this hen until two days ago. I do use oat straw in the nest box - but it's from the same bale that I have been using for nearly a year.

Anything else I should be treating her with - I noticed a reference to ivomec on another site.
pink bouncy

The best thing (non-chemical) to use to disinfect the henhouse with is heat. If You have a steam cleaner, that would be ideal but a blowtorch used to scorch the wood (carefully, you don't want to set fire to it) would do the job. Remember to remove the perches before you start as the perch ends are a mite's favourite home.
Cathryn

OK blowtorch it is - I have a bad feeling about this violent3 blob6
Andy B

We used some stuff recommended in Katie Thears book.I shall find the name when i get home and post it up.
I think you will find its a problem with the ground in the run with scaly leg as opposed to the hen house. But creasote or something similair clears a house and then you can use the occasional dusting of ruby powder. I found that red spider mite succumbed to creosote but a few hid from the blow torch. i only had to do this once. they are different mites and need different controls.
dpack

creasote is not sold for home use (good ) .
blowtorch accidents are easy to have
as above steam cleaner
i am fairly sure grannie used laundry soap and a scrubbing brush then aired the house while the chucks were out for the day
Andy B

dpack wrote:
creasote is not sold for home use (good ) .
blowtorch accidents are easy to have
as above steam cleaner
i am fairly sure grannie used laundry soap and a scrubbing brush then aired the house while the chucks were out for the day

You can use the modern equivalent, a liquid reaches parts a flame might not. But you need a good weather day so it can be aired and have time to dry out.
I tried all of the other opptions and that was the only one that got rid of the problem.
Leonie

I've used Poultry Shield in the past for cleaning out the hen house. OH uses a disinfectant for work that sterilises virtually all known viruses and bacteria, including Avian Flu, it's an environmentally friendly substance as well because it breaks down into oxygen and water. We use it for sterilising cold water storage tanks (the type in your loft) but it can be used in dairies, poultry housing etc.
Cathryn

GardenerJ wrote:
I've used Poultry Shield in the past for cleaning out the hen house. OH uses a disinfectant for work that sterilises virtually all known viruses and bacteria, including Avian Flu, it's an environmentally friendly substance as well because it breaks down into oxygen and water. We use it for sterilising cold water storage tanks (the type in your loft) but it can be used in dairies, poultry housing etc.

So what is it called? Wink

Haven't got surgical spirit in the house so am going to gently hibiscrub then liquid paraffin for now. Have given the house a really good clean and blowtorched it but there are a lot of places whioch the mitets could hide in so I think I would prefer the liquid one on a drying day. Can someone recommend anything or should I just go to the agri store as usual. Do you think frontline will kill this mite?

Poor bird feels think so I think I will worm them all as well.
Leonie

For mites I'd use Poultry Shield, it's meant to keep the mites away for 6 months and I've used it as a preventative measure and haven't suffered with mites in the henhouse yet. For disinfecting I'd use the stuff OH uses, I'll find out the name of the disinfectant or perhaps OH can supply some to you at cost, he bulk buys so it's cheaper.
Cathryn

That would be great thanks - although if it is a liquid it might be a bit costly to post Sad
Andy B

Benzyl Benzoate Application, your vet should be able to order it for you.
This is just for the scaly leg.
dpack

isnt that a major active ingrdient in coal tar soap?
creosote / soap / benzyl benzoate .. are these all approaching to a single cure ?
as an aside sticky things catch mites in the green house
Leonie

ruby, here's the details of the people (in wales) who sell it:

http://www.watertreatmentproducts.co.uk/sanosil.html

and here's the website of the manufacturer, this page I've linked to shows all the nasties that sanosil is effective against, including Influenza A, H5N1.

http://www.sanosil.com/-des-efficacy.htm
Cathryn

Many thaks - will have a good read of it now.

wow having read just a little - why isn't it more easily available or whats the catch? (Haven't actually rung about the price yet so that could be it)
Leonie

I'm not sure on the price, we bulk buy so get it cheaper than someone who would order smaller quantities. Let me know if the price is too high and I'll see if we can decant into a smaller quantity and send it on to you. Trouble is like you mentioned earlier the postage costs might make it not worthwhile.
Camile

Hi everyone,

I just encounterred my 1st case of scaly legs ..

And what I've been recommended as a cheap organic method is a mix a sulphur powder and olive oil ..

Make it like a liquid paste .. and dip the legs of the bird .. and also apply some with a brush to try to get the mixture underneath the scales.

And you should also use the same mixture to "paint" the inside of the henhouse, especially underneath the roost. This will kill all the mites and all.

Also you can put a bit of sulphur in their dust bath .. works as an insecticide.

As for disenfecting the hen house, I usually applied some lime wash .. works pretty well too ...

This won't harm the animal at all and is a proven treatment .. wich is a good thing ..

Good luck.
Camile
High Green Farm

We've used Virkon S for house cleaning etc. Get a cheap one litre garden sprayer and use that to spray the areas you can't brush.

HTH
Cathryn

Forgotton all about this. I think that just using liquid paraffin did the trick - but it was only a little bit scaly - now waiting for the scales to fall off with the next moult. I also torched the interior of the house. None of the others have developed it so it must have worked

However I have since then treated her with a tiny drop of cat and dog flea killer whose name escapes me at the moment just to make sure as I am introducing some young birds into the flock very soon. Wanted to make sure everything and everyone was as healthy as possible for them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home