Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
pink bouncy

Dispatching turkeys. Advice please

I'm doing the turkeys at the moment, as I have for several years now but am getting a bit fed up with being bashed by wings or getting them bruised or dislocated.

I have tried holding them tightly, holding them loosely, holding then pinned against their bodies and even a killing cone. That caused damaged breast and wings from the small amount of movement the bird could make in the cone. Other methods cause bruising, poor bleeding (either on the bird or on me and often both) or dislocated wings.

I kill with percussion (blow to the head or air gun pellet in brain) followed by cutting the throat to bleed.

Anyone know of a reliable and less flappy method please?
Cathryn

Three graduated buckets with the bottoms cut out rather than a metal killing cone. Apparently they bruised a lot less using this.
Bodger

Before I kill each turkey. I have a noose made of bailer twine suspended from the rafters of a shed and immediately after killing, I place the turkeys feet in the noose, tighten it and let the turkey dangle head down until the bird has stopped flapping. You obviously have to make sure that the turkey can't come into contact with any solid object while its still flapping and once its still, I use the same set up for plucking the turkey.
RichardW

I do similar to Bodger but hold the bird at arms length till the main flapping is over. It does require quite a bit of strength with the bigger birds. On the monster sized ones I hold them closer with their backs to me.
Bodger

You're younger and stronger than me but just maybe, I'm more cunning than you. I can't remember the last time that I had to wrestle with a chick. Embarassed Or is that just 'Just Me'? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Happy Christmas to you and yours Richie. reindeer
Woodburner

Could you maybe rig up a bar at near shoulder height so you could rest your hand on it with the turkey at arm's length?
I only do chickens, but I use a similar method to Bodger, only I have an S hook suspended from a beam, and use a loop of bailer twine on the feet (like a lark's head knot) and put the other end of the loop over the hook.
Bodger

SOme people bleed birds afte they've been killed but I wonder if its really necessary? if you cut their throat when they're still flapping, then thats when blood gets spattered about all over the place.
As long as the bird is suspended head downwards, then gravity will ensure that the blood pools in the head and neck area. Its just a thought and while I've done it both ways, the latter method is the one that I tend to use these days.
If you're killing birds in warmer weather, then then not cutting necks also helps in keeping flies away and reduces the problem of getting the carcasses fly blown.
pink bouncy

Thank you, that was most helpful. Very Happy

I have done it lots of different ways over the years, changing mostly to improve on speed of dispatch or to stun the bird before killing it. It has never occurred to me to simply allow it to flap. Rolling Eyes

I have three left to deal with tonight so I'll give it a try. thumbup
RichardW

to stun the bird before killing it.

Are you allowed to do that without a licence?
Bodger

By stun, maybe you tell the turkey what you're going to do to it before you actually do it. Shocked
Woodburner

IIRC stunning by a blow to the back of the skull is legal. I am not so certain as to swear it is so tho.

eta (without a licence) for poultry, and manually, not electric or captive bolt.
pink bouncy

to stun the bird before killing it.

Are you allowed to do that without a licence?

Justme? Is that you? Laughing
RichardW

I thought everyone knew. pink bouncy

I didn't but I know you have a legendary knowledge of the rules and regs. Very Happy I used to be a member of ACL about a million years ago. Melli-Jane

Hi - we place the turkey in an inverted traffic cone with the end removed, the bird is stunned with a captive bolt (9 times out of 10 it kills them), we then check the eye for reflex to ensure correct stun and cut the throat through carotid arteryand jugular vein to bleed. The cone stops the flapping, I tend to hold the feet to stop the legs reflexing into the cone and damaging them. I've not had any problems with bruising or damage this way.

The legal requirement is a two stage process stun and then bleed. You can use a captive bolt without a licence.

HSA have some useful advice on their website - or I use this for guidance http://www.hsa.org.uk/Resources/Publications/General/CPK%20June09%20sample_Layout%201.pdf[/url]
Bodger

Each to their own Melli but with all due respect, it seems to me that your method makes something thats quite simple very complicated.
I'll never forget the Gordon Ramsey programme a few years back. What a load of rubbish. Who is there keeping a few turkeys that can afford to hire a man in white coat and a purpose built trailer to despatch their birds? Rolling Eyes
Melli-Jane

Hi Bodger - totally agree, but we are licenced and slaughter for other people so we have to do things by the book. It sounds complicated but we simply have everything rigged up ready - cone hanging from a home built beam in the barn and the OH with his captive bolt and a sharp knife - and some hot water for plucking. The reflex thing is simply tapping the knife against the eyelid. It's very fast, efficient and he can happily kill out & pluck a dozen birds for a customer by himself safely for both him and the animals. We can't afford a posh trailer so he rigs something on the back of the truck when going out to other peoples premises.

Having watched people drop half dead birds which then flap across the ground damaging tissue, have birds coming back round from a badly judged whack on the head with a hammer or people pull heads completely off making a serious mess our method works for us & gives customers confidence. But I do agree, if you are only doing a couple and they are your own then it's what is best for you, as long as it's quick and humane then that it what matters Very Happy
Bodger

thumbup
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home