Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
earthyvirgo

Do I have to use 5 dpn's or can I use 4?

My current glove pattern asked for a set of 5 dpn's ... most of my sets are 4, so I generally just share my stitches on 3 and knit with the 4th. Apart from anything else, I find I can manage 3 working needles a lot better than 4.

This current pattern has told me to split the stitches 9, 9, 10, 11, so it obviously expects me to use all 5 but do I have to?

If I've got my place markers in situ, can I split my stitches between 3 needles or would there be a cunning reason why I have to use four?

There's no complicated stitch pattern to follow, the pattern is for a mock driving glove with slits across the knuckle and the back of the hand.

EV
Midland Spinner

No prob, you can use sets of 4 or 5

Especially if you've got stitch markers to show you where the needles would be if you followed the pattern.

Historical note: sets of 4 are traditional for the UK, whereas the continent & US tended to use sets of 5 there are exceptions to this and I confidently expect someone to come & tell me of examples which disprove my theory
earthyvirgo

No prob, you can use sets of 4 or 5

Especially if you've got stitch markers to show you where the needles would be if you followed the pattern.

Historical note: sets of 4 are traditional for the UK, whereas the continent & US tended to use sets of 5 there are exceptions to this and I confidently expect someone to come & tell me of examples which disprove my theory

A fount of knowledge as always.
Thanks MS.

EV
Midland Spinner

A fount of knowledge as always.
Thanks MS.

EV

Fanx! Smile

(Except when I'm picking VP's brains about websites)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home