Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
gray_b

Do I need rabbit protection on me grape vines ??

I am about to plant a few grape vines, but have only just thought.

Do I need rabbit spirals as I do on me apples.

Are grapes particularly attacked by rabbits, or should I just add spirals as an insurance policy.
crusher

Protect them !!!
Rabbits love vines. They will eat the leaves/stems if they can reach and will strip the bark and kill the vine if they can't get to the green stuff.
Mistress Rose

If you have trouble with rabbits attacking apples, I would say protect them too. Better safe than sorry.
tahir

Definitely protect mi e are 4 yrs old now and they're gnarled and woody so I think they'll be ok. If we were to replant I'd go for a system where the grapes are relatively high; foxes and badgers both eat low growing bunches
Pilsbury

In the garden next to work they have traimed them up over a frame made of scaffold poles, must be about 7 ft high as tey have a table and chairs in the shade and the bunches of grapes hang down to be easily harvested, i love the look of it.
gray_b

I've gone for the just incase option and put spirals on them.

I know there are hares about, but not seen rabbits for over a year. The worrying bit is hares stand taller, but there is normally only one of them about, unlike rabbits.
Mistress Rose

The spirals will stop hares from knowing the stem. If you find that the tops are being attacked, you might do better to protect with a ring of rabbit net staked in at least 2 places. That should let the vine get tall enough to be out of the reach of hares too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home