Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
sally_in_wales

Do you like your job?

Having a slight crisis of 'can I keep doing this job and still sleep/garden/interact with family' at the moment and just curious as to how those of you who have full time jobs feel about yours.
jema

As I work from home, I can only be in the "I love my job" category. When we move in a downsizery direction I can take the job with me Cool
Northern_Lad

Gone for 'other' as at times I like my job, other times I hate it. Now if I could think of anything that paid aswell, that I enjoyed doing...
Mrs Fiddlesticks

My 'career' (cos we women are all suppose to have one - yeah right!) consisted of a series of jobs in the customer service industry, before it was all changed to call centres.

I've not really worked since the boys were born other than a year or so as a part time postal worker for extra money and 6months as a full time office worker when I was a single mum for a bit.

I don't work now and am for the most part really happy being at home, although now the boys are getting older I'm just starting to wonder if I should think of something again to challenge self and to get out of a very safe and comfortable zone. I've really decided I don't want to go from being a mum to being retired without having done something else. Still musing as to what that will be! Very Happy
Nick

Yep.

Love my job, lots. Great people, great environment, huge amount of freedom, based in science, great company, and currently, no line management above me.

And it allows me to live in the middle of nowhere and keep a few pigs. Does it get much better? (Can you tell my bonus cheque arrived this morning!? Smile )
Behemoth

I've gone for other. I don't particulalry like the job, it's dull and sometimes very boring but other times can be intersting and even bordering on exciting (at which point we all calm down and have a cup of tea).

I've tried jumping the fence a couple of times and found that in most office based jobs the grass isn't realy greener. However, it pays well which allows us to do lots of stuff, it's relaxed most of the time, the corporate rubbish is counteracted by the flexiblity in time keeping and the other benefits aren't too bad. Also having just had a chat with the financial advisor, it's got a bloody good pension.

But.........I have this nagging feeling that hanging around in a dull but seductively comfortable job is not really what I want. OH is in a new career and enjoying it, she may become the main breadwinner in future and if we can afford to I'd like to go part time and develop another interest/business doing something totally different.
Treacodactyl

I've gone for "I hate my job, but can't afford to change it" which is the nearest to "I hate my job, but it will pay for what I want to do when I've saved enough - I hope!"
Jonnyboy

Similar to TD, I pretty much hate my job but's it's supporting the downsizer lifestyle we have always wanted to achieve. Sorting out the job is a future plan but not until the missus has finished her Nursing degree.
judith

I fall somewhere between 1 and 3.
I love my job, I can do it from home, I can do other stuff like growing stuff, feeding critters and making bread alongside it, but at times the volume just gets overwhelming. Then I feel like you do, Sally - the work/life balance just gets totally out of kilter. There are so many other things I want to do, but can't because I'm working into the wee small hours.
Not sure what the answer is. I used to think it was just because I was useless at scheduling, but now I believe that being useless at scheduling + stuff happening is more like the truth!
Róisín

I like-ish my job. If I got myself sorted out, I could work from home and be much happier; but it's the kind of job where I get pulled in ten diff directions and end up *not* getting to make my own choices, do things my own way etc, even though in theory this is poss Confused
Cathryn

Like Judith somewhere between 1 and 3 - but it's mainly about lack of time to do the other things I want to do for me and my children. I give it so much of my energy that I get home feeling done in and then get cross and fed up at niot doing enough with the children and doing enough for me and OH. Really all imposed on me by me so I should try and sort it out. Ideas anyone?

Should own up as well and say I workpart time so that I can pick children up and come home to do all those things - I wish
RoryD

As someone who has given up "work" and started working for myself in the last 8 months...

If you are the sort of person who believes in getting closer to food, its provenance, and living more ethically and consciously.... then there is a good chance that you may well feel happier and more fulfilled working for yourself.

I know its hard and scary and financially impossible for some/all of us. But trust me, if you like the idea of seeing your allotment grow and develop over the summer, then you'll find a similar connection in seeing your sales grow, or receiving good feedback from a customer.
Its yours. You made it. Its a good thing. Rolling Eyes

wah wah wah.
Cathryn

You might be amzed at how little money you can live on as well - although will you all be around next month as both our ancient cars fail their MOT's?!! There can be a sense of impending crisis a lot of the time. Our joint incomes have only just taken us above the "poverty" threshold. (course it's not really such a simple equation - took out the mortgage years ago when OH worked in the City...)
Fee

I've gone for Other aswell. I really like what I do most of the time, and I work from home for the majority of time, but still work for a very large Corporation, so the cack that goes along with that is annoying, plus they don't pay as much as they should...but it's comfortable most of the time...
Behemoth wrote:

I have this nagging feeling that hanging around in a dull but seductively comfortable job is not really what I want.

Couldn't agree more, I have a nagging feeling even at the thought of what I'd actually like to be doing, which isn't working for a bluechip company in Surrey...though I do have it go as far as working conditions/flexibility goes, and I'm pretty much my own boss regards the day to day stuff these days.

If OH could get a job elsewhere (i.e. a bit less 'Suburbia'), then we'd move in a Flash, I can work from anywhere, (as long as it has Broadband!)...but he actually enjoys what he does and where he works...bummer.
Lozzie

I honestly expected to be in the minority when I voted for the first option. But at the moment we are slightly ahead ... How brilliant!
Northern_Lad

Lozzie wrote:
I honestly expected to be in the minority when I voted for the first option. But at the moment we are slightly ahead ... How brilliant!

That's 'cause all the job-hating members are at work and aren't allowed to log in.
HG

Also went for Other - resigned from Corporate Hell and will do Something Else as yet Undecided in 5 weeks time Cool

Tra la laaaa!

As Ruby mentioned I'm sure we'll find ways of living within our now well-reduced means, the need for happiness/fulfillment and sanity began to outweigh extra dosh!

Still it's so good to see there are others out there who really enjoy what they're doing Very Happy
Jb

I went for hate my job and can't afford to change it even though strictly speaking I could afford to change it. The main problem is that much as I despise my job I wouldn't quit work without having a plan for what to do next. As all my plans for what to do next require far more capital than I have I wouldn't quit just to do something similar or idle.
sara jane goodey

How i wish....

being a midwife i should be in the love my job catagory, but i'm not afraid to say that i'm not keen,who would love to work in a boiling hot hospital that has a view to the ogwen valley and carneddau that makes me ache to get home! Besides all the litigation and hospital protocol.for the past year i've been trying to downsize my life so that i can go part time or leave so i can spend time at home with the animals and the garden, and reeducating myself how not to spend money, my OH loves his job, he's a manual worker but outside doing a bit of hedge laying and dry stonewalling, lovely or is it that the grass is greener....
tahir

Re: How i wish....

sara jane goodey wrote:
being a midwife i should be in the love my job catagory, but i'm not afraid to say that i'm not keen

Have you looked at the Radical Midwives association?
monkey1973

I did enjoy my job as a Structural Engineer until the latter couple of years. The job was very varied and involved a mix of office design and site inspections etc and every job was different. The trouble, I think, started when I moved to a company outside the Big City in order to shorten my commute.
Initially this was great as it allowed me far more time at home to concentrate on the things I really enjoy like gardening and drinking. The trouble was the company that I moved to wasn't a particularily good one and was mis-managed to the extreme. The workload was relentless and there was no real support from the senior management so I was pretty well flying by the seat of my pants the whole time. Anyway, after my mum passed away last summer I took a step back and re-evaluated my own situation. Basically, I asked myself "What the hell am I doing this for?" I was no longer enjoying myself and was finding it extremely difficult to get out of bed in the morning so I bit the bullet and jacked it.
I'm still not entirely sure what I intend to do with myself but the most likely option is going to be a gardener. I want the flexibility of working for myself and also want to work outdoors. Oh, and I also love gardening so it seems to be the logical option. So, by spring I hope to have myself a van, trailer and a small client base to get myself started. Fingers crossed.
sara jane goodey

not keen 0n court room drama! Would like to keep my registration incase of the rainy day. The RMA do things very differently and usually have the confidence and experience of aeons and have overseas experience too.
sara jane goodey

Hooray for you monkey1973 like me you'll be so skint that you become delusional that nettle beer is good and that elderflower wine had undertones of a good sauvignon blanc... but no more crapping your pants on the way to work and during work! and maybe we won't develop stress related illness!
monkey1973

sara jane goodey wrote:
Hooray for you monkey1973 like me you'll be so skint that you become delusional that nettle beer is good and that elderflower wine had undertones of a good sauvignon blanc... but no more crapping your pants on the way to work and during work! and maybe we won't develop stress related illness!

If I make it myself it will be the nectar of the gods! As for incontenance at work, I think I must have got out before you did! Wink
Nick

monkey1973 wrote:
As for incontenance at work, I think I must have got out before you did! Wink

You mean before 'it' did, surely? Smile
sunpuppy

monkey1973 wrote:
I'm still not entirely sure what I intend to do with myself but the most likely option is going to be a gardener. I want the flexibility of working for myself and also want to work outdoors. Oh, and I also love gardening so it seems to be the logical option. So, by spring I hope to have myself a van, trailer and a small client base to get myself started. Fingers crossed.

I hated my office job and love gardening, so early last year I did a crash course, got my RHS Certificate in Horticulture, and started a gardening business. I lasted two months before the work dried up, despite copius amounts of advertising. As soon as August hit, every one went on holiday and although I had some regular clients, it wasn't enough to survive on. I ended up going back to the company I used to work for and grovelling for another job, which they gave me (although worse pay and not in the line of work I was used to). Crying or Very sad

I reckon you should definitely go for starting a gardening business, but just make sure you have, say, six months worth of living expenses saved beforehand, to make sure you can survive any lean times. Either that, or start the business part time while you're still in your other job, and leave when the client base is well established.

The other thing I hadn't anticipated was just how physically demanding it would be. I knew it was going to be hard work, but I'd overestimated my endurance levels (I've just turned 40), and found it really difficult digging out loads of stubborn shrubs in searing summer heat! On the plus side, it was fab being outdoors, even in the rain, and I absolutely LOVED being my own boss!

Am now making new escape plans, but this time will be better prepared and not let my desperation to leave my cr*ppy job prompt rash decisions! Laughing
monkey1973

nickhowe wrote:
monkey1973 wrote:
As for incontenance at work, I think I must have got out before you did! Wink

You mean before 'it' did, surely? Smile

Laughing Laughing
monkey1973

Thanks for the advice Sunpuppy. I've got some fall-back cash and our cost of living is pretty low and could be even lower if really pushed so I don't foresee having to completely bust a gut just to survive. My wife's a student just now but finishes in the summer and if, fingers crossed, she gets a modestly paid job it will alleviate further how much cash I will have to bring in.
I actually got paid for my first job yesterday. I helped shift some gravel for an neighbour and then pruned her hazel tree and she insisted on giving me £20. I tried to refuse but she insisted saying "If you don't take it I won't have you back, if you take it I'll get you back to do more". She's a nice lady. Very Happy
Treacodactyl

monkey1973 wrote:
she insisted on giving me £20.

You'll now need to spend £200 filling out a self assessment for being self employed. Shocked Only joking, but does anyone know about being self employed and would they be able to give a simple overview of how it works?
wellington womble

I do genuinely love my job. I voted for its at odds with my downsizer lifestyle, as it doesn't leave me enough time to have much of a downsizer lifestyle. However, this is only stage 2 of a multi-stage plan, and I chose physio cos you can do it anywhere with anything (or nothing) and the vast majority are female, so being part time and flexible is almost normal. I can also work for myself, and am gettting the experience and the courses to be able to do that at the moment (and paying off some debts). Eventually I reckon I should be able to pay our bills working two days a week, which is perfect.

I wouldn't want not to work at all - I had several months off over the summer, and really felt I needed the structure in my week. That might be differnt if I had more animals (or kids) though.

So I don't feel that my job is at odds totally with my downsizing aspirations, even though it is quite demanding at the moment, as I planned it to fit in with them, in the end. I just don't want to do it five days a week - after all I wouldn't want to knit, or garden or cook all week, every week, and I don't see work as any different, even though I enjoy all those things immensly.
jema

Treacodactyl wrote:
monkey1973 wrote:

You'll now need to spend £200 filling out a self assessment for being self employed. Shocked Only joking, but does anyone know about being self employed and would they be able to give a simple overview of how it works?

It is not much of a big deal until you get into VAT. As a sole trader a long time back I did not even as I recall employ an accountant.

As a limited company these days, I pay one to do all the paye and the tax and keep really pretty basic records that he sorts out.

It is not that bothersome at all.
Rob R

I put 'other' as none of the above really fitted exactly sunny - some days it is the best in the world & works perfectly well, other days it's more stressful than any other help
HG

I haven't gone through the whole process yet, but if you contact the Inland Revenue, they'll send you out the forms/other info related to starting off on your own - found them helpful so far.
You're required to register within 3 months of starting...
Cathryn

Treacodactyl wrote:
monkey1973 wrote:

In this area there are organisations set up to help small businesses including supplying them with grants for capital purchases like computers. Feel slightly cynical about the quality of some of them however since one year their "flagship" example had to close down within a few months of opening - no-one had thought to get the necessary planning permission... However my family's small business now have an invaluable new computer. they are supposed to be on hand with all the advice a small business could ever need so don't let that slow down a move

Ooh sorry forgot something else as well - there is a special one aimed at women here - I have had some useful training from them which I hope one day to apply.
Nanny

i am afraid i put that i hate it but it pays the bills

we are working on something else but how long that will take we don't know.............

i would be happier even if i could go part time i think, but i really do not feel that i achieve anything worth while here and this week has proved that someone in the management clearly makes decisions without looking at the facts and the consequences with a result that they have just lost one of the best IT people they have had here in years.

they have poured money for 2 years into a very necessary project that will now never be finished and the result will have to be a change in the training of staff and how the call taking will now be dealt with

what a mess
Jenna

I do like my job, even though the people get on my nerves occasionally! It is completely at odds in one way - I spend 6 weeks at a time away from 'home', but it is flexible in other ways - I get 2 weeks off every six to go home and 'do stuff'. I will be giving it up entirely in 12 months though (end of 10 year plan), when I will have enough savings to keep me afloat with no visible means of support for another year before I have to go back to scrubbing floors or stacking shelves to pay the leccy bill! Would like to be able to keep the job, but I can always go back if there's a disaster. Looking forward to it.
Northern_Lad

What sort of work to you do, Jenna?
Penny Outskirts

Treacodactyl wrote:
does anyone know about being self employed and would they be able to give a simple overview of how it works?

It is very simple to become self-employed - you just ring HM Customs and Excise and say "I'm now self-employed" Very Happy but of course that's not all there is to it. Confused Ummm (I'm going to regret this) I teach starting your own business at a local college, and it really helps having done it myself too. Would a generic article on starting your own business be of any use? Covering tax implications, business plans, cashflow, things you should know about yourself before starting, market research, VAT, links to useful sites etc etc be of use????

I'm sure there are a lot of downsizers who could input too....

I could re-hash my course notes quite easily, and you'd get a course which normally costs the punters 145 squids for free Very Happy
Behemoth

What's that buzzing sound heading this way.....?
Bugs

Penny wrote:
(I'm going to regret this) I teach starting your own business at a local college, and it really helps having done it myself too. Would a generic article on starting your own business be of any use?

It would be downright wonderful Mrs Penny Smile if you still teach by the way, you could always have it for a plug for your business, it seems wrong to have you put the whole thing down when you can make money from it still. If you want to PM me to discuss what you prefer to do, I'd be happy to help if I can.
Bugs

Behemoth wrote:
What's that buzzing sound heading this way.....?

Laughing
sean

Three minutes? Are you not fully recovered from your recent illness?
Penny Outskirts

Bugs wrote:
It would be downright wonderful Mrs Penny Smile if you still teach by the way, you could always have it for a plug for your business, it seems wrong to have you put the whole thing down when you can make money from it still. If you want to PM me to discuss what you prefer to do, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Unfortunately I don't get the money Crying or Very sad I just get paid an hourly rate as a part-time lecturer by the college. The course work was all done by me for the college, but it's fine for me to share it for free. I do the course most terms, so I'll still get paid for it Very Happy
Behemoth

sean wrote:

Be fair it was against a headwind.
Penny Outskirts

sean wrote:

She's slipping Laughing Laughing
Loopy Lou

I voted that I love my job although I work part-time (not full-time as asked) out of the house while my children are at school, (I work in their school!) and look after them, the animals etc the rest of the time.

In reality I work full-time as many of us do but I wonly recieve a wage for my part-time work. The satisfaction I recieve for the rest is price less. Very Happy
Bugs

Penny wrote:
sean wrote:

She's slipping Laughing Laughing

I should be ashamed of myself Embarassed
Treacodactyl

That would be great Penny, it would be worth starting another thread to see what people would find helpful or would suggest as well.

I think it may be best for a simple introduction article along the lines of "have you thought about this" and then perhaps something a little more detailed?
Will

I sadly put down hate but can't afford to move.

I know that's really just a state of mind, and we've demonstrated before that we can live on a lot less.

My problem at the moment is that I've got far enough up this particular greasy pole to be paid pretty well, but I don't have much relevant experience to move to something more interesting without starting at the bottom and taking a big cut in pay. That's not really compatible with mortgages and potential families.
Penny Outskirts

If it's OK, I'll base it on my course which covers most things anyone starting a business should think about, and is very practical - NOT academic airy fairy stuff Laughing Laughing and I can do that pretty quickly and easily.

Then if anyone one wants to chip in or have more detail we can take it further - is that OK? I think it will help to have a starting point. The course I teach is a level 3 (about A-level standard) Institute of Learning Management certified course, which leads to an NVQ 3 Certificate in Starting Your Own Business.
wishus

I don't like working in a call centre, earning some one else the money and not getting any natural daylight.

I do like the money.

I would like a bit more money Sad

I like editing stuff, it engages my brain. Hope I get to keep that up or even do a bit more.

I wish it paid better, and there would be no need for the call centre to exist except in the deep, dark depths of my masochistic imagination, maybe for a story???
Pilsbury

I put down i love my job and i do, its all i ever wanted to do and have found a place in the market where i can do nice hours and with enough responsability and variety to keep me intreasted, it also helps with my Downsizer plans because Catering is badly paid and after my morgage and essential bills i am left with less than £100 per month for food, petrol and any going out i do so it forces me to do as much as i can myself.
Andrea

I gave up paid work in order to do my own thing. The final months, when I knew I was going (but they didn't), were blissful as I could completely ignore all the office politics & hassles & just get on with it.
Beckyess

This is exactly what I am doing at the moment!! They don't know I'm going and I can just get on do my job knowing that each day counts downwards to release day Mr. Green
Becky
moggins

I gave up work just before DD was born and now she is at school I keep feeling the pressure to return to work. I don't want to go though, I barely have enough hours in the day as it is.

I would like to do proof reading though.
puffedpride

Just barging in to say 'I voted other'. I really like my job, and although it's not downsizerish, am finding a number of people here are interested in making changes at work that are more sustainable.
dpack

i forgot to say other . Embarassed
i have done varied things . for the last 5 years i have been a carer on benifits , grower ,fisher , forager .
i am burnt out . so i think thats a no .
i am ready to either / or ...get a job ,run another business , prepare my ma / phd application . do lots of artwork and get it out selling itself .so long as i can grow and fish etc money isnt too important as i can be low maintainance .
a job sounds pretty easy after 24/7/365 x 5 .
first im having a break then i will try to get the proper balence of the above if i can get it right i might even have time for a life .
i havnt had a job as such for 22 years ,i have been a gainfully employed freelance ,been an employer (the responsibility is real )traded antiques and been an art student for 5 yrs .
employer is the one i didnt really like cos peoples lives depended on me always getting it right , both money and health n safety .the good thing about being an employer was training young richard with the skills to earn a good living after the school system had written him off
artist is better than refurbisher and i do enjoy academia so ...... :arrow: :arrow:
either that or a fast jet pilot(f 16 ) Laughing 2500 hours sim time so far , i am a bit too old for 10g i expect Wink
btp

hi i voted not too bothered but it pays the bills
as it is i work nights my wife works shifts and we do the childcare/school run between us but that isnt enough for us ....
that is why last year we took the plunge to start our own buisness so hopefully if it takes off we can give up our respective jobs and
do what we want to do rather than what we have to
if it dosnt take off big enough then we will rethink the situation
and mabye down size the house etc
cheers brian
Penny Outskirts

btp wrote:
that is why last year we took the plunge to start our own buisness so hopefully if it takes off we can give up our respective jobs

What is your business Brian?
btp

hi penny weve been making chutneys pickles and sauces for quite a long time so we have now decided to do it commercialy
check out my web site
please let me know if you like it
any improvments / questions please let me know
cheers brian
jema

You have two critical problems on the first page alone.

1) The image is almost a megabyte, it should be 1/10th that.

2) You should be on your own domain for a commerical enterprise.

Between these two points you have lost 80% of the punters instantly!
judith

You have a nice range of products there. Best of luck with your new venture.
Has anyone pestered you for an advert to put on this site yet? If not, consider yourself pestered!
tahir

judith wrote:
Has anyone pestered you for an advert to put on this site yet?

Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home